Meerschaum & Pipe Round Up Oct 28th on Oi Vay!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is a review of whats for sale on our favorite auction site. The usual caveats apply in that I neither own nor have any interest in any of these pipes and if I did I would probably hide my head in shame for trying to sell them! Under the search option 'Antique Meerschaum Pipes' you will find four pages of interesting offerings. There is a rather nice bent meerschaum with a silver band, amber stem and case which appears to be reasonable condition. It has a nice patina and appears to be well smoked and has a very good 'Buy It Now' price. Next up is something described as a meerschaum pipe which in reality is a briar pipe with amberine stem and a very tidy clean case. It has a hall marked silver band which cannot be seem from the pictures. It has an $85 price tag or best offer and may possibly be something quite valuable but I don't do briars so you will have to make your own enquiries. In the crud department there are several cheroot holders that are described as pipes, most of them have seen better days and one cheroot holder has been broken in half. No doubt that will be taking a one way trip to Etsy at the end of this Ebay auction. In the smoking 'Garden Statues' department there are the usual array of figurines, heads and overly ornate stuff with prices ranging from the sublime to the crazy. Interestly there are quite a few amber stems being offered for sale with the heavy screw mountings which might be a life saver for those of you that have clenched your amber stems too tightly and reduced the amber to orange grit. One pipe I thought interesting is in the shape of a large 'T' which appears in great condition with a sound amber stem although I cannot make up my mind if this is a pipe or a very elaborate cheroot holder but it might be worth asking before bidding. There is one meerschaum style 'cutty' in a case for $65 which has been for sale since Christmas and I have mentioned it before since I have corresponded with the gentleman in Denmark who is the seller. I suspect it needs new threads on the stem and if you are prepared to wait on Tim West to do his magic it might be the pipe for you. This week has thrown up some very nice offerings in the calabash corner of the market with very reasonable pricing although I am alway cautious of these older ones as often asbestos was used to make the bowls unless it was made by BBB in which case it will be meerschaum. Well colored 'Pokers' are represented with prices ranging from $30-$50 but again it is best to check with the seller in regard to the stem/shank threading for any issues. In Dunhill world there are an abundance of offerings with prices all over the map and I cannot really pass comment as my knowledge of these would fit on the back of a Condor plug. Happy hunting guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.