Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Meers, Keep 'Em In The Case?

(23 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

fishnbanjo sent me a fine estate Meer, my first ever, so my question is, are Meers best kept in their case, or can they live as happily on the rack? I may keep it in its case, actually a box neatly fitted with a liner shaped to the pipe, to keep track of the case, but I wondered.

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep the Meers in rotation on the racks. The ones I'm not using in rotation live in their cases.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tom, Meers are to be handled only in optimum conditions, away from sunlight or UV rays. Wearing not one, not two, but three pairs of thick leather gloves are a must. If you are insistant on filling it with tobacco, please PLEASE load one ribbon at a time. To light use merely the whisper of a flame!

That said, my meer sits in a wooden box with all my other pipes with not even a sock on it and its fine.

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The protection spells lose power outside of the case. In all seriousness, I don't know of any good reason to keep it in the case except to protect from scratches.

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine stays out either on top of the rack, or on my sensitive, tobaccometric processing pad, otherwise known as a paper plate, waiting on standby for my next bowl. I smoke it at least every other day and keep it at the ready. The long stem prevents it from fitting on my desk rack, so in times I'm out of the office for any length of time or taking it traveling with me, I put it in the case.

Now if I kept it at home, I'd keep it in its case the majority of the time, because I have a cat who hasn't figured out what curiosity has done to a lot of his brethren.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I keep mine in the case. We have cats.

Tim
    Posted 6 months ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My lone good meer sits in it's case with the case open. It has not earned a place in my 36 count Savinelli pipe rack with glass doors.

Harris
    Posted 6 months ago #
  8. btwes7

btwes7

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own only one Meerschaum. Bought at The Tinderbox in 1989. I’ve always kept it in its case; however, have left it out for a couple of days after smoking it to dry out. Would love to get another someday. Really like it for straight Virginia’s.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The protection spells lose power outside of the case.
    I believe this to be absolutely true. The wards weaken over a short period of time. But wards of protection that have been placed on the case are strong magic and take many many years to weaken. However, if the wards on the meer aren't joined often with the wards on the case, then the magic on the case will also weaken. This can be remedied by returning the meer to the case and chanting, "Flofufu momo twiddlefat dwiddlefat maripus maximus googly moogly aye aye aye," while hopping about in circles on one foot, with one hand upon said foot and the other held above your head.

I've found that the above causes people to stare, so I keep mine in their case.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 6 months ago #
  10. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I only have one (gift from the wife) and I don't smoke it that often. I keep it in the case. Not sure if that's right or wrong.

Let me know if Anthony's dance works. I might try it if it does.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only have one (gift from the wife) and I don't smoke it that often. I keep it in the case. Not sure if that's right or wrong.
    It's neither. Or both! Any old way will do.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just don't want the case protection powers to diminish as the Meer socializes with the other pipes on the rack. I've saved many of the boxes my briars came in, though I never use any of them, and likewise with the socks, although I did use five socks to ship pipes donated to soldiers at Agram.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep mine in cases for better and safer storage. My pipe racks are overflowing, so I keep my meers by my chair in the den in a box.

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually return mine to the case after smoking, but leave the case open for a day or so before closing it up.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tom, Meers are to be handled only in optimum conditions, away from sunlight or UV rays. Wearing not one, not two, but three pairs of thick leather gloves are a must. If you are insistant on filling it with tobacco, please PLEASE load one ribbon at a time. To light use merely the whisper of a flame!

That said, my meer sits in a wooden box with all my other pipes with not even a sock on it and its fine.

Post of the year candidate

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the ones that have cases, once they have cooled they get put back in their case, for those that don’t have cases they have designated sitting spots in the cabinet behind glass until called upon again, regards.
    banjo

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep mine in its case. It’s a fine specimen and would hate to see it damaged.

Ever notice how you see plenty of old cases, but not many old meers in antique shops? Seems they are tougher than the pipes.

Jason
    Posted 6 months ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only have the five meers and each is smoked at least once a week three to five bowls in the evening. I see no reason to let them dry and then stow them in a case. They sit in the ashtray or lay on the table in my reading area until use.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  19. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For what I paid for my Altinok Santa Claus pipe I keep it in the case. I let it cool down completely before returning it to the case.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

use merely

HA!

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

usually return mine to the case after smoking, but leave the case open for a day or so before closing it up.

This

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like ash, I keep mine on a pipe rack made especially for the three that I have. If I don't have plans in the next 6 months to smoke them, then yeah, they go back to their case.

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

In the case, that's what they are made for! Don't learn the hard way!

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, danimalia, tfdickson, aldecaker, jravenwood