Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fishnbanjo sent me a fine estate Meer, my first ever, so my question is, are Meers best kept in their case, or can they live as happily on the rack? I may keep it in its case, actually a box neatly fitted with a liner shaped to the pipe, to keep track of the case, but I wondered.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tom, Meers are to be handled only in optimum conditions, away from sunlight or UV rays. Wearing not one, not two, but three pairs of thick leather gloves are a must. If you are insistant on filling it with tobacco, please PLEASE load one ribbon at a time. To light use merely the whisper of a flame! :wink:
That said, my meer sits in a wooden box with all my other pipes with not even a sock on it and its fine.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Mine stays out either on top of the rack, or on my sensitive, tobaccometric processing pad, otherwise known as a paper plate, waiting on standby for my next bowl. I smoke it at least every other day and keep it at the ready. The long stem prevents it from fitting on my desk rack, so in times I'm out of the office for any length of time or taking it traveling with me, I put it in the case.
Now if I kept it at home, I'd keep it in its case the majority of the time, because I have a cat who hasn't figured out what curiosity has done to a lot of his brethren.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I own only one Meerschaum. Bought at The Tinderbox in 1989. I’ve always kept it in its case; however, have left it out for a couple of days after smoking it to dry out. Would love to get another someday. Really like it for straight Virginia’s.

Jan 8, 2013
The protection spells lose power outside of the case.
I believe this to be absolutely true. The wards weaken over a short period of time. But wards of protection that have been placed on the case are strong magic and take many many years to weaken. However, if the wards on the meer aren't joined often with the wards on the case, then the magic on the case will also weaken. This can be remedied by returning the meer to the case and chanting, "Flofufu momo twiddlefat dwiddlefat maripus maximus googly moogly aye aye aye," while hopping about in circles on one foot, with one hand upon said foot and the other held above your head.
I've found that the above causes people to stare, so I keep mine in their case.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I only have one (gift from the wife) and I don't smoke it that often. I keep it in the case. Not sure if that's right or wrong.
Let me know if Anthony's dance works. I might try it if it does.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just don't want the case protection powers to diminish as the Meer socializes with the other pipes on the rack. I've saved many of the boxes my briars came in, though I never use any of them, and likewise with the socks, although I did use five socks to ship pipes donated to soldiers at Agram.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I keep mine in cases for better and safer storage. My pipe racks are overflowing, so I keep my meers by my chair in the den in a box.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Tom, Meers are to be handled only in optimum conditions, away from sunlight or UV rays. Wearing not one, not two, but three pairs of thick leather gloves are a must. If you are insistant on filling it with tobacco, please PLEASE load one ribbon at a time. To light use merely the whisper of a flame! :wink:
That said, my meer sits in a wooden box with all my other pipes with not even a sock on it and its fine.
Post of the year candidate

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
For the ones that have cases, once they have cooled they get put back in their case, for those that don’t have cases they have designated sitting spots in the cabinet behind glass until called upon again, regards.

banjo

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I keep mine in its case. It’s a fine specimen and would hate to see it damaged.
Ever notice how you see plenty of old cases, but not many old meers in antique shops? Seems they are tougher than the pipes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I only have the five meers and each is smoked at least once a week three to five bowls in the evening. I see no reason to let them dry and then stow them in a case. They sit in the ashtray or lay on the table in my reading area until use.

Status
Not open for further replies.