PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
A while ago I posted about my PAD attack and a new meerschaum pipe I ordered. Well, it arrived yesterday.
A couple of housekeeping details first and then on to my initial thoughts.
My first question was whether the pipe, given its very low cost, was pressed meerschaum. Thanks to the member that suggested the "saliva test" I licked my finger and touched it to the inside of the bowl. Sticky as can be. I guess I have a solid block pipe.
Second question was the stem connection. There's a metal tenon protruding from the stem and its a nice fit into a metal lined mortice in the stummel (is that the right word?) Looks solid enough, but time will tell.
First smoke. The moment of truth. I packed the bowl with Mac Baren Vanilla Creme, fired up the Zippo and did my initial light. Following my usual routine, I let that sit for a minute and then did the true light and sat down to evaluate the smoke.
The first thing I noticed was, meerschaum definitely smokes drier than briar. There was not even a trace of steam, just smoke. The first few minutes were not much different than my briars in terms of flavour, but about a quarter of the way into the bowl the flavours started intensifying. I started tasting a ton more of the vanilla and there was definitely more of the citrus flavour of the virginia.
As usual, when I started tasting ash, I stopped the smoke and let things cool down for a couple of minutes before emptying and cleaning, not that the bowl got even close to hot. I was surprised to see that there was no dottle.The tobacco had burned completely.
Today, the pipe will get a bowl of Golden Extra burley and we'll see how that does, but I now see the what all the fuss was about when it comes to meerschaum. I will never stop smoking briar, but this is a wonderful change of pace and adds a new dimension to one of my go to blends. All in all, a very nice experience.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If my experience is any gauge, you can expect the meer to steadily improve with use. Just remember to clean the bowl well after each smoke. The walls of the bowl will blacken in due course; but ideally, you should not allow a cake to develop. I like to ream the bowl with a well-crumpled sheet of paper after each smoke, but take care that the paper wad doesn't scratch the rim of the bowl.
Opinions are divided, but I occasionally swab the shank and stem with a pipe cleaner slightly dampened with alcohol. Years ago, a picture was posted that showed how the color/finish of a meer was ruined by a too generous use of alcohol during cleaning. It was horrific! It looked like the alcohol transported all the color to the surface in a most unattractive way. I'll try to find that post.
In the meantime, how about some pix of your latest prize?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bass', thanks for your detailed report. One of my pipe friends has "commanded" me to get a Meer, and though I am in no hurry, I may do it, or be gifted with one. I'd have the no-cake regime by heart, since I do the same with my briars. Some report more muted flavor, which doesn't sound so good, but the dry smoke sounds fine, although I don't generally have moisture problems, so that might not occur to me much. I think one small/medium smooth meer in a traditional shape might do me, since I have a plethora (wanted to use that word) of pipes. Good original post!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Here's the culprit :)
Its a medium bowl and I think definitely falls under the traditional shape category. Not completely smooth, but the carved design is understated and not very deep at all.
You can see the beginnings of the inside of the bowl darkening, but I don't expect the outside to colour for quite some time yet.
img_0565-600x450.jpg

• Love
Reactions: aspiring_sage

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice looking pipe! I like the carving on the bowl, distinctive but pleasantly understated. For future reference, who was the retailer?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
The pipe was bought from smokingpipes.com. It was in their Turkish Estates section.
While we're on the subject, I'd like to say that the shipping was fast, the pipe arrived well packaged and even included a drawstring bag.
On the downside, the stem had a bad twist at the end near the button that was not noted on the website. It was twisted by a good 15 degrees from parallel to the top of the bowl. Being the foolhardy soul that I am :crazy:, I heated up a small pot of water to just below boiling, dipped the stem in for maybe 45 seconds and bent the thing back to parallel. Like it never happened :D

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Nice Meer, I just recently got one as well and have had much of the same experience. Cooler, drier smoke. Bowl burned down to ash. Never had that happen before! Im hooked and now wondering why I havnt bought one sooner.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokingpipes.com is so exacting with its estate pipe descriptions, I feel the stem problem was some kind of oversight or mishap in transit. Your daring-do in repairing it makes the pipe more your own! My server has quit serving up SPC and other net links, but I'll work on that. I'm a tech dyslexic, but somehow I manage to stay online, just. It's pressure to make me work on the problem, which is a good thing. I'm the Typhoid Mary of the digital age. I suspect devices go offline when I drive past in my car.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Once I got over the fear of trying the repair myself (after a few minutes of "this won't be the first time you've lost $50") It was actually quite easy.
I've had good experiences with SPC and I"m sure it was just an oversight. As it turned out, no biggie and I have bragging rights about how I fixed my own pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the pipe works out -- and it sounds like it will -- it was a great bargain!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's a link to the picture of a meer's appearance ruined by alcohol. The post also has an embedded link.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/care-and-maintenance-doing-it-right#post-819445

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the referenced photo.
Cortez- Did you say you ruined it by using alcohol? Can you elaborate a touch?
I never use alcohol or wax on my meers. Hot water rinse only, gentle drying of the chamber (with very light reaming action) with paper towel.
meer.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@jpmcwjr: That isn't my pipe. It was the subject of this thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/meer-coloring-gone-wrong

...where it eventually was revealed that alcohol was the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.