PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So through a trade that happened some time ago, I acquired a good amount of 1792 flake, stuck it in a jar when I got it in the mail then kind of forgot about it. I found it while going through some stuff the other day and decided to try a bowl of it. Put it in a dedicated Lakeland pipe and started puffing. Now I have been told by a lot of people that this stuff is high octane, no nonsense tobacco with a nicotine level that borders on being perverted. I started to slowly puff and thought to myself, "This stuff tastes good. Really good." Nice and bold with that earthy kind of fermented punch, had that kind of "meaty" snap that a blend with some good burley has. About midway through the bowl, I waited for a nicotine hit that was something akin to Zeus using my brain as a dartboard for his darts of pure thunder. I expected to be whisked away in a fog of pure smoky brown liquid oozing tar goodness that is Vitamin N.
You know what? It never happened. No nic high, no spinning head, no transcendent experience.
I'm not saying this stuff isn't good, and by no means am I saying it's not potent. It has a nic hit, and it comes fairly early in the bowl, but it's one that, in my experience with some of the different burley blends I have tried translates to the higher side of average, what I would call "satisfying". I've had blends like Montford Point Marine and Old Joe Krantz that literally left me feeling a little nauseous after some bigger bowls of it, but this stuff didn't phase me all that much. So to anyone else that has smoked 1792: Is it nicotine overload for you guys, or have some of you had the same experience I had? I smoked a few more pipes of it to make sure it was the same experience and it came out the same each time. Did I maybe get a bad batch? It tasted fine, looked fine, smelled fine, everything indicated that it was the same stuff that I read horror stories about. I'm going to order more of it to be sure, cause I find it pretty damn tasty, but I'm just curious.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wondered what "some time ago" meant. If it was a year or more, combined with however long the generous friend

had been cellaring the leaf, the blend might have lost some of its nic kick, and to my mind, that would be a good

thing. A little nic buzz now and then can be pleasant, but that's not why I smoke.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I like 1792a lot and have smoked many tins. In fact, there was a period of over a year when I smoked 1792 exclusively. I never got the nic hit that others have but I figure that my constitution just tolerates it better than others'.

1792 has been called a love-it-or-hate-it-blend so I'm in the love it column.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
1792 is excellent tobacco. I have some that I dip into from from August of '07. I tone it down with a little of this and a liitle of that.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not out for the strongest blends. I like rich tobacco, but not to have my head spin. But the more I think about this

blend, the more I feel it could be good. I'm a fan of burley, and if it were allowed to mellow somewhat, it sounds tasty.

I'd approach it with caution until I found how it agreed (or not) with me. Small pipes first, after letting it sit closed

but unsealed a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.