PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I saw on the back of the medco filter box that they have pipes for like 20 bucks I know you get what you pay for but are these pipes good smokers

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They have their fans. having an inexpensive pipe is a handy thing to have when you want to try out a blend you have not had before. No sense in "ghosting" a $100 pipe on an experiment. Corn cobs can serve the same purpose.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
They make a good little working pipe just make sure it is not Brylon . The bits are useally made of nylon and they slip over a metal shank . http://www.smfrankcoinc.com/ybmd/medico/medicopipes.htm

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have snagged more than one great brand name estate for less than the price of a Medico.

Just takes patience and the instincts of a shark! LOL!

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
That's what I've been thinking as well...I should wait till I find an estate pipe for the same value to come along.

I think the weight of the pipe is measureable.

Medico pipes lack the weight (or mass) that a briar has...( I'll spend my money on different pipe tobacco's till then )....

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Medico pipes lack the weight (or mass) that a briar has...

??? If you want weight ,buy a Medico Brylon!

Most Medicos are briar though and among the cheapest estate pipes on Ebay. I've had several,always a good smoke for me.Have two in my rotation at present.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
they are what they are--i have three that are over 50 years old--the old wood may be somewhat better--

i enjoy smoking them--just finished some Balkan and then Oriental in a pair of them--good smokes--

are they as good as my Peterson?--No--would i sell or trade them?--NO!

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I bought an unsmoked medico and it smokes great, it's an old one though, I don't know if the quality today is the same.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have a Medico varsity that is Italian Briar and brown blasted. I find it smokes great mind you I haven't smoked anything else but it hasn't discouraged me from continuing my pipe smoking hobby so as a beginner pipe I think it holds its own very well.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
I have a 60+ year-old Medico that I'm currently breaking in. It smokes great, and I like the size, weight and shape a lot. Aesthetically, it is a disaster--countless fills, poorly fit stem, etc.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I tend to buy estate pipes in lots I have some great medicos and quite a few that just didnt make the cut for one reason or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.