georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
(tosses over the fence into the enclosure):
unnamed_2.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
So, what is the question? I can't see the date code too clearly; looks like a 9...so 1929. See bottom of the page here,
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/patent1.html#48slash24

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Also, for shape 313 see page 34 of the 1938 catalog here,
https://archive.org/stream/b24919512#page/n0/mode/2up
That's all I've got. :wink:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I should also say the 1938 dating of the catalog was attributed (not by myself) by comparing the LC shape, also on p.34, with the LC from the John Loring page here,
http://loringpage.com/PipeArticles/The%20Atypical%20LC.htm

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
So, what is the question? I can't see the date code too clearly; looks like a 9...
There's no date code. That's the reason I'm posting it. I think there's a chance it was made before date codes were used.
unnamed.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
There's no date code. That's the reason I'm posting it. I think there's a chance it was made before date codes were used.
Sure looks like an underlined 9 after 1343253/20, no?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I can't tell from the pic so will contact the owner.
I didn't know the date numeral was ever put on the second line.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I didn't know the date numeral was ever put on the second line.
See the link to pipephil in my first post for the same markings on a 1929 Shell.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
According to the late John C. Loring's book titled "The Dunhill Briar Pipe - The Patent Years and After": "From 1921 to 1931 Shells were either stamped DUNHILL'S "SHELL" if there was a MADE IN ENGLAND (or FABRICATION ANGLAISE) line, or DUNHILL'S "SHELL BRIAR" if not."
Concerning dating he states, "The date code was introduced during 1921 (most 1921 pipes do not have a date code) and pipes bearing the possessive DUNHILL'S followed by "SHELL" or "SHELL BRIAR" in quotes together with a raised underlined 1 through 0 date from 1921 to 1930 respectively."
The first patent number pertains to oil-curing and sandblasting; the second to the inner tube with flange. Mr. Loring states that this nomenclature was used in 1927.
I hope that this information is helpful.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
Concerning the 313/24 stamping, Mr. Loring states, in part, "...Shell pipes were not given specific shape numbers but rather put into one of about two and half dozen numbered categories. Since category numbers run from single digits to the twenties, while the Dunhill made shape numbers begin with 31 that can be no confusion between which system a number belongs to."
Accordingly, it seems that 313 is the shape number, and 24 the shell category number.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
could it be a 2
I think you are seeing the underline as the bottom of a 2.
Accordingly, it seems that 313 is the shape number, and 24 the shell category number.
Hunter, I don't think so if I'm reading Loring correctly.
"...Shell pipes were not given specific shape numbers but rather put into one of about two and half dozen numbered categories. Since category numbers run from single digits to the twenties, while the Dunhill made shape numbers begin with 31 that can be no confusion between which system a number belongs to."
Shape 313, and as I recall the 24 referred to the specification for the inner tube for the pipe...?
However, more from Loring, so perhaps you are correct.
SHELL MODEL NUMBERS. While all Shell pipes began as standard Bruyere model shapes the deep sandblasting of the period meant that the resulting pipe could be far from standard. During this period and for a time after the nomenclature examples as well as catalogues seems to suggest that there was in a place a dual model number system, one number reflecting the original Bruyere model shape and the second, a single digit, reflecting a Shell category. The particulars of this apparent dual system and it’s evolution however, are unknown to me.
Hunter, after reading all this, I'm liking your explanation better.
George, you need a better picture of that stamping.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm changing my mind again on the number markings on this pipe 313/24; my thinking is the 24 does refer to the Inner Tube needed for this pipe. Again from the 1938 Dunhill About Smoke,
"A Number denoting the size of the Tube required is stamped on the stem of every Pipe."
In the English pipe parlance from this period, I believe, the "Stem" refers to the shank of the pipe, and what we would now call the "Stem" is the "Mouthpiece".
innertube38-600x465.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"With the tube, the pipe never requires cleaning"
I have to say that those tubes, when used, do keep the pipe shanks super clean.

tridens

Lurker
Nov 3, 2016
Hello, Everybody.
Here's a similar stamping for comparison.
The pipe is a 1930 Dunhill shape 83.
1930-dunhill-83-patents2-600x337.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
dmcmtk:
The Dunhill Aluminum Inner Tubes package shown in your image above features a "5" which I assume refers to their length (perhaps in centimeters), as the copy states that a package contains eight tubes. If this is so, then five centimeters would equate to 1.97 inches. To test this hypothesis I just measured an inner tube from one of my Dunhill Shell billiard pipes and it is 7 centimeters long (2.76 inches), so I believe that it could be valid.
Given this, if the 24 stamped on the bottom of the pipe also refers to its inner tube length (again in centimeters), then it would equate to 9.45 inches!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
philo, you raise a good question. A page from a 1950's Dunhill shape chart,
dpsc7-600x581.jpg

All this being said, I think George is asking about the dating of the pipe in the OP.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"Were the British already using the metric system in the 1920's?"
Good point. Even if they were not, then the "5" on the package shown in dmcmtk's image might have possibly indicated that it contained inner tubes that were five inches long. If true, then does this mean that the subject pipe required 24-inch inner tubes? I will hold with Mr. Loring's suggestion that the "24" stamping indicated a category number.

Status
Not open for further replies.