PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
These guys know what they're doing when it comes to Virginia tobacco! There is no doubt in my mind that they produce the best Virginia blends in the world. Could you imagine if there were shortages of this stuff like Esoterica?(which I'm my opinion is the most overrated company on the market, probably bc of the low supply). There are way too many to name, but almost every blend that I've tried is excellent(and I've smoked most of their virginia blends). I don't feel like that Mclleland gets enough credit for having such a superior product. They are and have been for some time definitely doing something special over there!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There's no disputing the quality and diversity of McClelland's offerings;

but IMO, there are many other blenders that can push them off my short list.

Everything they do they do well, but they don't do everything. Yet, if everyone

else vanished from the landscape, they could fill the needs of the many quite well.
I still do wonder about that acetic odor (and taste) they possess initially -- the

notorious "ketchup smell" everybody associates with most of their blends. They say

it's the product of fermentation, yet I can't help suspecting that they use vinegar

to retard mold. Perhaps, like San Francisco's famous sourdough bread, their signature

taste is attributable to indigenous bacteria biota.

There are a lot of great straight Virginias out there. McClelland has some great ones. I have been enjoying the heck out of some one year old Red Cake the last few days. But, it amazes me how different tobacconists can pull such different flavors from one single leaf type. However, as much as I have enjoyed McClelland's, I have found pleasure in almost all straight Virginias. But, I look forward to trying as many as I can.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Jon:
Do you really think McClelland's Virginias are underappreciated? I haven't gotten that impression at all. I've often posted here that I think Dark Star is the finest dark-stoved blend on the market. Christmas Cheer is frequently praised here, as are 221B: Honeydew and 221B: Black Shag. And if anyone wants to be shocked at just how good a "simple" blend of Virginias and a light dose of latakia can be, they should try Anniversary, definitely in my top 10 of the best blends I have ever smoked.
I do think that the sheer volume of Virginia blends from McClelland can be intimidating, though. Some folks may choose not to leap in simply because they don't know where to start. Also, it has to be said that others are put off by the aroma of the vinegar used as a preservative in McClelland's Virginias; I happen to feel that that aroma from a freshly opened tin is a promise of very good things to come.
Bob

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have really enjoyed the McClelland blends I have tried. Christmas Cheer stands out to me when it comes to McClelland and Virginias. I also enjoy their Grand Oriental line. Their bulk offerings; 2000, 2010 and 2015 are enjoyable, but I do not think they stand up to their tinned offerings.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Cortez:
I don't think the "McClelland vinegar" idea is even up for debate; I've heard McClelland representatives specifically mention it in interviews.
Bob

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
The one I'm really curious to try is No. 24, the one with just a little drama leaf in it. I smoked and liked the PCCA Boston 1776 blend, and it had a similar thing with just a whisper of oriental leaf.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
I like me some McClelland's stuff. I have yet to try a lot of their offerings but those I have tried I enjoyed. Their Personal Reserve, Grand Orientals and Matured Virginia lines are great. I have a tin of Boston 1776 from 2010 I have yet to crack open from their pipe club selections.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Bob,

I wouldn't say under appreciated bc I know a lot of guys smoke the Christmas Cheer every year and love it. Blackwoods, St. James Woods, and maybe Darkstar get talked about a lot also. I guess you are right about the amount of blends that people have to choose from. But there are many that are never mentioned that are just great! I'll just give you 2 for example...the first would be one of the best Vapers that I've ever put in a pipe---Blakeney Toasted:Acadian Ribbon and the second would be for one of the best bright Virginias in existence----Buteras Golden Cake. These two blends are never talked about and I would put them against anything in their respective categories. Don't even get me started on the Ashton Rival series! So under appreciated, I guess not, but under recognized definitely!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Jon:
I'll definitely agree with you about the Butera -- in fact, I think the whole line really flies under the radar for most pipe smokers. Their Matured Ribbon is wonderful, as are Dark Stoved and Latakia No. 1 (I personally think Latakia No. 2 is a bit like that "other" No. 2. . . ;) ) -- not to mention Pelican and Kingfisher. But some of these can be very difficult to find. (I'm not sure Pelican and Kingfisher are even technically still in production.)
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm certainly a believer in their Red Cake, both as a single tobacco and for mixing. I don't age or apply

pressure, so I don't call it blending. I'm also interested in a tin of their tobacco with cigar leaf. I'm

deciding whether I want it as loose tobacco or as a plug. I'm struggling whether to buy it online and pay

shipping or for almost twice the price for the tin to support my local independent tobacco shop. The

challenge with McClelland Virginias is the wide variety of blends, some of which seem really similar unless

you can actually sample the blend. I know they aren't duplicative, but from the descriptions you can't

always tell what the distinctions are. If someone wanted to to do a post teasing apart some of the more

seemingly identical McClelland Virginias, that might interest many Forums member. I tend to jump to

sample a blend when it goes on sale, because it justifies singling it out to try, as I recently did with

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake on sale at 15% off at SP.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'll definitely agree with you about the Butera -- in fact, I think the whole line really flies under the radar for most pipe smokers. Their Matured Ribbon is wonderful,

I never paid much attention to Butera. When I found out that their Matured Ribbon was made by McC I snagged a ten year old tin at my B&M. Wonderful stuff, so I promptly ran back to my B&M and bought out the last three tins, which were also ten years old. Considering my cellar is about 50% McC flakes I guess you could call me a fan!

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Just a few random comments.
Pelican and Kingfisher are made by Germain (last time I checked), not by McClelland. This is why they are in a different tin.
There are no McClelland "reps" that I know of. Any time I've been anywhere that McClelland has been represented, it has been by Mary and Mike McNeil. Mary is the "owner" and Mike is the "blender".
They make some of my favorite blends. No bones about it. I agree that they don't get as much press as they should, but I also think part of that is due to most people's fixation with the unattainable. SG, Esoterica, or Germain MUST be better because it's rarely available. Nonsense. Why are so many people on the other side of the pond clamoring for McClelland and GLP when they can go to any tobacconist and get SG or Germain products? The old Balkan Sobraine was way better than the new Balkan Sobraine or anything else readily available today. Also the old Old Spice was way better than the Old Spice of today.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I suppose I could agree with the original poster. 5100 is a gem, no matter the age. Boston 1776 is also a breadwinner for me.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I think on my next order of tobaccos, I'm going to get a tin each of No 24, Dark Star, and Blackwoods. I prefer deeper VAs and don't care for overly sweet blends. I'd rather smoke flakes or broken flakes than ribbons. Anything I'm missing?

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally, McClelland #5100, Red Kake, is my everyday smoke. I love any of the brown labeled Virginia Tins. Since I smoke so much of the McClelland #5100, I guess I never notice any of the Ketchup taste and I live in Pittsburgh, the home of Heinz Ketchup. I normally have a pound or two of the 5100 in constant circulation. I will mix the aged tobacco with fresh tobacco on a continuing basis. That being said, some 10-yr old 5100 is a treat, or mix it (5100) with #5105 Dark Stoved about 70% to 30% for a treat.
The Butera tobaccos are also great, imho, especially the Dark Stoved. I have opened a tin of 15 year old Dark stoved and the sugar crystals and taste were phenomenal.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I've only scratched the surface of VA tobacco. I do have a 1/2 pound of the 5100 Red Cake, and I enjoy it from time to time. I'm still learning how to smoke VA correctly so as to not get kicked in the mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.