PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoibsurferx

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2011
Monroe, NC
I bought a tin of Mccranies red ribbon as one of my first quality pure tobacco's to try. Its the 2000 crop.
I really like the straight red virginia and I have to admit its an acquired taste.
However I have read and been told there was a 1983 crop and 1996 crop. Where and COULD I get my hands on some to try? I've heard its pretty hopeless but would love to try an older crop.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I've heard many good things about this blend, but have yet to try it. I also would like to acquire one of the older crop tins.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
They trickle across ebay pretty regularly. They aint cheap. They are all fantastic. Made by McClelland IIRC.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
It's not hopeless and it's worth every bit of effort. The 80s batch pops up from time to time online, don't pay more than 20/30 for a tin. If you go to shows, you can get it even cheaper if you look around.
One of my most favorite blends. And without question one of the best shops in the country, worth a pilgrimage. Damn I miss that place.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I started with the '96 crop, and have smoked many tins. The current batch, as is, reminds me of the '96 that's been aged for 5 years. Never tried the '83.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The '96 was around for a long time - I first got some in '04, IIRC, and it was around for a good 5 years. TBH,even if it disappears - there will be another series. No biggie. (Folks generally seem to think this version is better than the '96; there is dispute about whether or not it is better than the '83. I think it's smoother and mellower than the '96; it's as good now as the '96 is with 5 years on it.)

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I was just gifted a tin of the 2000 from a very generous forum member.

I like it. Also tried adding a pinch to my neverending homespun VaPer experiment.

It actually worked nicely. Now to search for the the older tins.

My wallet hurts already!

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Next time I'm up in Cornelius, NC (April) I'm going to have to talk to JC and see if he has any tins stashed. I might get lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.