PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
After a very successful and exhausting week at work I treated myself to a bottle of scotch. I picked up a bottle of McClelland's Islay. I'm still exploring Scotch and what I like. I figure what better way to enjoy it than with a bowl or two of...what! I have many tobaccos to choose from as johnnyxpipe treated me very well on a swap, and a few more pipes than I did last week so I can rotate and experiment.
I'm thinking I'm going to try some Boswell Northwoods with it, but I am wondering what tobaccos you all think would be a good pairing. I'll try many, but I'm curious what YOU all would choose.
I have the following to choose from at the moment, and I am also open to suggestions of what to order down the road!
Excuse some of the spelling as I'm new and likely to get things mixed up, and some of these I think were swaps from swaps and the handwriting is a little hard to read so I'm gonna write them as I can read them.
My choices...
Boswell Northwoods

Boswell Magnum

Boswell Christmas Cookie

P.S. Mild Cavendish

P.S. Balkan Supreme

7 Seas Black

P.S. Noughat

Paladin Black Cherry

Unknown Light Burley

C&D Autumn Evening

Middleton Apple

CPT Cool...don't think I got that one right!

AND So to/yo Bed...don't think I got that one right either...

C&D Billy Budd

C&D Bayou Morning

C&D Night Train

Pipesandcigars.com Pine Grove

C&D Pirate Kake

P.S. Navy Flake

Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal

C&D Mountain Camp

GH Sweet Whiskey...sounds fitting enough

Pembroke...this one sounds good from what I've read.
Any input is appreciated! And again, thank you to johnnyxpipe for being such a good guy.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I tend to like Virginias with or without perique as an accompaniment to the salty, oily, smokey Islay malt whiskies. In contrast I tend to like English tobaccos with a high Oriental content when having a lighter whisky.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
G.L. Pease Telegraph Hill is outstanding with an Islay malt whisky. You got me going now so I set out some Telegraph Hill and lifted a bottle of Bruichladdich Laddie Classic Edition_01 from the liquor cabinet. Iced water poured, tobacco airing out. In 20 min or so I will be in the zone ha ha ha.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Tanks for the recomendations! I went with PS Navy Flake, Northwoods, and wrapped up with some Pembroke. All in all a fantastic evening.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I typically enjoy a good cigar with scotch but on the ocassions that I opt for a pipe instead, anything English tends to work just fine for me. The smokiness of the latakia stands up to the scotch well.
I've never tried a VA flake with scotch although I don't doubt the flavors would be interesting together.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you like the McClelland, try Bowmore. I'm pretty sure McClelland is really a new Bowmore and if you like the McClelland, you'll love it. Nice and peaty.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Yeah from what I understand Bowmore actually males them. So you're correct. I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
The Islay being specifically made at the Bowmore distillery, the others at other ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClelland%27s_Single_Malt

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Thank you, I really appreciate the guidance. Tonight is a repeat of last. Then it's back to the grind!

Status
Not open for further replies.