PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I have been out of the loop just about ever since I joined the Army (4-5 years now), when did McClellands go under? And what have people found as good substitutes for their favorite blends?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
More like forced under......not sure exactly when........a year or two? I'm sure some of the geeks that have been around longer will have the whole story with deets for you. Can still be found on ebay for gouge prices (although gouge prices are all relative, a lot of members will pay easily that or more for good cigars).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've known Mike and Mary for a long time. They live about three miles from me.
The only reason the plug was pulled was because it was time to do so. Everyone reaches retirement age, and they were both simply tired after 40+ years.
Please disregard any and all speculation and/or stories you hear to the contrary.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, Mike and Mary had a good run and just decided it was time to slow down and pursue other interests. Good folks there. They took the business down with their retirement to prevent any changes made by potential new owners to the company they had established.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And what have people found as good substitutes for their favorite blends?
Nothing really. I cellared McClelland deep enough to last thecrest of my days, but have since gone on to enjoy other blends.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
OLna6yNb.gif

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
This reminds me of the Japanese soldiers left defending remote islands years after WWII had ended.
Please excuse my having a bit of fun at your expense shayde. Thanks for your selfless service.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-25772192

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can understand completely. I came back from the Navy in summer 1972 to attend grad school, and I have been learning ever since what blocks of cultural activity I completely missed. I did see the moon landing on TV while we were waxing the floor while I was in radioman school. And they did play the movie "Woodstock" on the mess decks of the minesweeper i was aboard. But TV shows, movies, musical groups, and personalities from that era ... many of them are completely lost on me. I think of it as the Rip Vanwinkle effect. So back to Virginia tobacco. No one else has emerged as a consummate master of Virginia blends, with that scrupulous sourcing of tobaccos and that attention to detail. However, from blender to blender there are scores of excellent Va and Va/Per blends. You just have to shop a lot, read reviews, sample in small quantities, and find what you like. With most McClelland blends, you couldn't miss. No one's going to do them that way again.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You're not going to find matches for McClelland blends. There are other great blends that are different from McClelland. Greg Pease isn't exactly a slouch when it comes to blending. If you like Virginias and Va/Pers, check out Union Square, Telegraph Hill, Sixpence and Triple Play.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You can replace McClellands tobaccos with whatever you just don't expect it to be the same. Mike and Mary are friends of mine also and after Mike's back surgery (went very well) and the inability to get leaf of their standards they decided to fold there tent. Yes, there's plenty of Virginia out there but there are no farmers who make the tobacco to their standards. They were in business forty years so you can't blame them.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Please disregard any and all speculation and/or stories you hear to the contrary.
I've been passing around the story that they were in a fight and a distracted Mike fell into the tobacco press. Mary, in a fit of anger, pushed the button pressing him into 200 pounds of bright Virginia. She was going to call the blend Frog Morton Missouri Mash.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Than you for your service.

I have 40 Virginia,Virginia/Perique, Virginia/Kentucky/Burley flakes,plugs and rope in my cellar and only one is a MC made blend.
Here are a few of my favorites that are readily available.

Escudo

Solani 633 and 660 Silver Flake

Capstan Blue Flake

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.