Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

McClelland's #2015 VaPer Flake. Where Is It?

(54 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mawnansmiff
  • Latest reply from sablebrush52
  1. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having read the thread about McClelland's inability to acquire certain tobaccos that meet their stringent quality levels (and various tales of the possibility of the company closing) I'm wondering if it's the end of one of my favourite blends, #2015.

I've checked the forum sponsor websites and they are all out of it. Can it be true that #2015 is to be no more?

If this is the case then it has happened frighteningly quickly.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It has stepped into the Area 5100 Zone, VaPer-ized, poof, gone. I absolutely don't believe anything anyone says about Mcclellands anymore, and I have lost quite a bit of respect for them for not actually "speaking directly to the consumers." But, the fact is that there aren't anymore 2015's on any online retailers shelves at this current moment, and I will wager that the moment any does become available, it will sell out faster than an slick-splitted Esoterica in pumps at a substantially higher price. So, I am moving on.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. snowhill

snowhill

Login to Send PM

Come to think of it, the unavailability of 2015 and a large number of other McClelland bulks leaves me wanting.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. elvergun

elvergun

Login to Send PM

I absolutely don't believe anything anyone says about Mcclellands anymore, and I have lost quite a bit of respect for them for not actually "speaking directly to the consumers. "

I kinda-sorta agree with this, but remember that they did talk speak to the consumer -- all they said was that they were going to discontinue 5100. Everything that followed was the result of speculation and overactive imaginations. It seems that many pipe smokers suffer from soothsayer syndrome. And then there are those who know a guy who knows a guy who talked to the McNeil's..

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

all they said was that they were going to discontinue 5100

They never even said that directly. Unless there is something online somewhere that I missed, which is always possible.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I saw 2015 the other day. It was $5 per ounce I believe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Jay,

I suspect that there is a fair amount available at B&M's, but the major online stores are indeed wiped out.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

theediabeticman

Login to Send PM

El Fumador in PA has some 412-741-1300
    I am set so I personally didn’t order, but I did call to benefit all of you, as well as a B&M (check out their website they have some tins too!)

Inspirational quote to be inserted during an inspirational moment
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

El Fumador’s site said they have it. $76 per pound I think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suspect that there is a fair amount available at B&M's, but the major online stores are indeed wiped out.

Don't even bother with the southeastern US. I don't think I missed any.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

The McClelland tobaccos at 4Noggins are close to being depleted. 2015 disappeared very fast after the 5100 announcement.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. elvergun

elvergun

Login to Send PM

Don't even bother with the southeastern US. I don't think I missed any

Hoarder!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I absolutely don't believe anything anyone says about Mcclellands anymore, and I have lost quite a bit of respect for them for not actually "speaking directly to the consumers."

If they're not finding the leaf that they want to use, the supply will dry up until that is remedied, so the shortage isn't necessarily proof of anything. We've seen examples of shortages before. But, playing devil's advocate, what good would it do to make such an announcement? All that would happen is that panic buying would ensue, hoarders and speculators would wipe out what is available in a nanosecond, and their loyal customers would get screwed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

There are better VaPers than the bulk 2015 at $79 a lb and shipping extra.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. james72

james72

Login to Send PM

Well I can account for about 15 pounds of it. It goes surprisingly quick towards the end. I was buying up some Dark Star over the course of a few days and it didn't seem like it would sell out for a while, then BAM! All gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But, playing devil's advocate, what good would it do to make such an announcement?

Rumors that they have some red Virginias waiting to finish it's third year of sweats, rumors we will never see 5100 again, going out of business, and not going out of business; lots of unanswered questions. But, really, after all of this, if they do stay in business, it will be somewhere between SG FVF level and Esoterica level of availability, because demand has gone through the roof.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. elvergun

elvergun

Login to Send PM

But, really, after all of this, if they do stay in business, it will be somewhere between SG FVF level and Esoterica level of availability, because demand has gone through the roof.

That's better than nothing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Rumors that they have some red Virginias waiting to finish it's third year of sweats, rumors we will never see 5100 again, going out of business, and not going out of business; lots of unanswered questions. But, really, after all of this, if they do stay in business, it will be somewhere between SG FVF level and Esoterica level of availability, because demand has gone through the roof.

Possibly, and possibly not. FVF is the most cellared blend on record. When there was a shortage a few years back, people bought like there was no tomorrow. Then, after a delay, FVF showed up again and they couldn't give it away because everyone had stocked up. Rumors have a life of there own. The pipes and tobaccos world loves to spread, mutate, and repeat rumors. No one can control rumors in this community. They spread like a flu virus.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Bulk FVF tends to run out pretty quickly still.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, i received a one pound bag of fvf that looked like sawdust from P and C. Guess mine was the last order they tried to fill.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

Yeah, i received a one pound bag of fvf that looked like sawdust from P and C. Guess mine was the last order they tried to fill.

I thought they only came in 250g boxes for bulk. I did not know you could get loose bulk!

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, i received a one pound bag of fvf that looked like sawdust

Wait... DRY FVF, is that even possible? Did you have to pay extra?

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well folks, the discussion is interesting but does anyone know for sure if....

A/ McClelland's #2015 is finished for good....

or....

B/ Are McClellands about to fold?

I notice too that Peretti's London Flake which many folks claim to be #2015 but with another name (they do look and smoke remarkably the same) is also out of stock. Some connection perhaps?

As Michael says, I think we are all likely to be in the dark until the owners (McNeil family?) actually make a definitive statement one way or another.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

Anything containing red virginia is pretty much getting depleted. People are going nuts....and can't blame them cuz red virginia is the tastiest baccy on the planet.
    But I think this is going beyond crazy. Russ said there's plenty of red virginia out there, just not the quality Mike McNeil wants for his blends.
    Plenty of other blenders out there. Try Rattray's, C&D, etc. Even Sutliff has red virginias.

What I find interesting is if everybody thinks McClelland is going out of business, why is there no run on the Frog Morton series yet?
    It seems to be specific to reds.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

That said, P&C is wiped out of Frog Morton except for "Cellar". But smokingpipes has all of them in stock (with the exception of the discontinued Across the Pond, of course)

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

Seems to be some growing talk that McClelland is going out of business. I hate to spread rumors, but a woman at a B&M store I recently stopped at advised me "stock up". That could just have been misinformation due to the halt of 5100 production, but it does make one think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A merchant telling you to buy more. So unusual, and not the least bit suspect,

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since the news of 5100, and the "potential" closing of McClellands; many of the bulk blends along with others have been depleted. Heck, I tried to order some #2000 Fragrant Mature Cake and it was all gone. Get the bulk stuff while you can.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

A merchant telling you to buy more. So unusual, and not the least bit suspect

In fairness, they weren't exactly stocked to the rafters with McClelland products.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You must buy McClellands (any and all of them) that you want as fast as you can if you want to have them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I still have over 30 tins of Yenidje Highlander, 39 tins of 2016/2017 Christmas Cheer, and just over 10 pounds of 5100. All set for the MCClocolypse.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

You must buy McClellands (any and all of them) that you want as fast as you can if you want to have them.

Words of Wisdom!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hya, ya, Hya! Hyah!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With the way the current rumor mill is spinning, it is very difficult to tell what is real anymore. Speculation won't do much, but I'll certainly be sad to see the company go or in too high of demand. Some of my favorite tobaccos are McClelland flakes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I do know where seven pounds of it is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Well, based on this comment, the probability of more 2015 coming to market does not seem high. So Jay, best enjoy and cherish what you have for it shall not come this way again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

Can we start a run on Mixture 79?

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, a guy doesn't log in for a year or so and all of a sudden tobacco starts disappearing. Good thing I still kept buying. Wasn't a huge consumer of Red Kake, but I did manage to stash a pound or two because it blends well with everything.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like any blends I love, I need to just shut up about them. Last time I opened my mouth, a certain blend went missing for too long(a couple of weeks )Now I just pm my homies about them,

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Derfargin!!! welcome back!
    And, I hold you personally responsible, Perdurabo. Just look at what you've done.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, you too? Hold on wait, you were one of the first homies I told . Besides that damn review I did.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, it's not in stock! Damn, they can have McClelland!

Cosmic, have you tried the Mad Fiddler Flake? I believe they put Apple Jack on it, or Apple juice. It took me a minute to get past the cinnamony Katsuri. Now with half a jar left, the Apple aroma has really opened up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No man, my lips were sealed. You know me. I'm shy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hope all is well with you Cosmic. You guys still met up once a month at The Briary? Still have to hop on over there sometime.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, 2nd Monday of each month. 5 till Joe kicks us out, usually 8ish. Follow the Magic City Pipe Club or The Briary on FB, or PM me your email so that I can send you a personal invite if you prefer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. wooooo

wooooo

Login to Send PM

Last week I asked my B&M about getting future McClelland blends and he said it was done. Not just 5100 or reds. He said if you want something buy it now because they are done. This is a man I've known for over 25 years. I've spent thousands at his shop and he told me their last order was it. They would no longer be able to get anything from McClleland. Take this for what you will but I stocked up bigly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

My local guy has 2015 if anyone needs a pound

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

I asked my B&M about getting future McClelland blends and he said it was done. Not just 5100 or reds. He said if you want something buy it now because they are done.

This was exactly what I was told yesterday, too. Its all gone and there is nothing left for the B&Ms to restock now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But, playing devil's advocate, what good would it do to make such an announcement?

A few options:

1. Possibly just warning consumers before there is a sudden shortage. The honest option.
    2. Testing the waters to see how high interest is in keeping the brand around. Figuring that once Dunhill goes, pipe smoking might well be unprofitable.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's interesting that McClleland blends ran out so quickly, but yet so many Dunhill blends still linger online and my B&M still has fully stocked shelves of Dunhill blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

Yeah, but isn't the line with Dunhill that things would begin to wind down in 12-18 months?
    Whatever is happening w McC seems to be done now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Whatever is happening w McC seems to be done now."

Quite, no warning no nothing.....just gone.

Time will tell if this is a temporary setback or something more serious but the feeling I am getting is it's most likely the latter.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

1. Possibly just warning consumers before there is a sudden shortage. The honest option.

Well, I'd love to believe that, but my experience informs me differently. If I was going to quit the business, knowing what I know about many my fellow pipe smokers, I wouldn't say a word until the end. That would be out of consideration to my loyal customers, the people who buy my products on a regular basis. That may sound paradoxical, but it isn't. Because, the moment I say I'm done, the hoarders and speculators are going to land like a plague of locusts a snap up every shred they can grab while the grabbing is good. If I keep my mouth shut, my customers will have months to buy what they like and the stocks will gradually reduce before somebody sounds the alarm and the locusts swarm in.

Add to that, maybe I haven't made a firm decision about any of this. Maybe I'll retire for good, maybe I won't. Maybe I need a break for a while. The only thing I owe my clients is an honest effort to do my best on their behalf. Might be a public or premature announcement isn't that.

Besides, why is it anybody else's business what they decide to do with their lives?

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yeah, but isn't the line with Dunhill that things would begin to wind down in 12-18 months?
    Whatever is happening w McC seems to be done now.

You're looking at vastly different levels of production. There's a ton of Dunhill available, which is no surprise. If it were a great seller, BAT wouldn't be terminating it. They are keeping Dunhill cigarettes after all.

As for McClelland, assuming what is being reported is the case, then the same thing has happened, just on a smaller scale. Stocks ran down over time until it reached the point where somebody noticed.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, didimauw, elpfeife, 64alex, canucklehead, craig61a, oldtoby, trudger, yuda, gerryp, lightxmyfire, bluegrassbrian