McClelland Red And Black: How Do You Smoke It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Opening this tin was something of a first for me inasmuch as there appears to be roughly 50/50 medium brown flakes and very dark brown flakes in the same tin.
How do you regulars smoke this? I am assuming one rubs out equal quantities of each and mixes them afore loading up.
Has anyone ever tried smoking just the one shade of flake on its own? If so I would be interested to hear how much they differ from one another.
I will not get around to sampling this for a couple of days so I'd be interested to hear any opinions.
Regards,
Jay.

I separate all of the flakes out my shape and weight and smoke them from the smallest up. Haha. The thing about this blend(?) is that can be smoked however you feel like smoking it. Sometimes I will smoke all red flakes, and sometimes all black. Sometimes I will mix them up. But, I almost always rub them out or cube cut them, no matter how I mix them.

This is really two different flakes, red Virginia and a dark mature. It's kind of gimmicky, but at least they used good tobaccos for their gimmick. :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just go in blind... what I pull out gets rubbed out and smoked. It's fun because each bowl is slightly different. Im starting to stay away from McClelland lately though. I know some people consider their VA's to be the best in the world but what ever they use (PG?) as a preservative gives my mouth a weird coating and it's really starting to become a problem for me. I think Gawith's VA's are far superior anyhow so I'll be sticking with theirs for as long as they're available in the States. Don't get me wrong, I still give Red & Black 4 stars but I wish the flakes weren't so rubbery.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I tried this one but find it rather pointless. No smoke is like the last. It's a crap shoot.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I love this blend. One of my favorites.
I normally attempt to get as close to a 50/50 mix as possible.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
How do I smoke it? With a greedy smile.
Yes, it's fun. It's a gimmick. It's also great tobacco. If I could have my choice, I'd probably go with about 2:1 Red to Black, but what fun it is to load a bowl rubbed out at 50/50, what fun it is to just roughly beat the flake into submission and load the bowl with chunks of Red and chunks of Black, and see how the flavor changes back and forth throughout.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I shoot for 50-50 too, but I think 60/40 would be preferable. The stoved virginia in this blend is special. I like it more than Darkstar.

That said, I wish the ratio in the tins were more like 60% red/40% stoved.

Status
Not open for further replies.