PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My local B&M has a few old tins of McClelland Navy Cavendish and Black Woods Flake, and I've considered buying them. I've never had either of these. I'm a big McC fan, but not a big Va fan. I do like a couple of McC Va's, Deep Hollow and 221b Black Shag. Peterson University Flake is decent IMO, as well. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if it's not an English/Balkan or burley, then I prefer my baccy a little on the sweet side.
That being said, which would you recommend; the Navy or the Black Woods, or both?
Thanks in advance,

Dan

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It's been a while since I've had Navy Cav. I remember it being very good. A bit of Rum on very quality Virginia. Now Blackwoods Flake? IMHO, Blackwoods Flake is one of the finest Virginia Flakes available today.Me? I would get both.

Mike S.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I think you should at least take a shot at the Blackwoods. It's one of those classic tobaccos with tons of positive reviews that everyone should at least try a tin of.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'm with Mike on the Blackwoods Flake. One of the best around. Definitely not sweet though.
It's been years since I've smoked any of the McClelland's Navy Cavendish. But if memory serves, it is less strong and sweet in a natural way and the presentation is rich. You can tell the rum flavoring is there but only in the background.
Best,

Pipestud

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Definitely pick up the Navy Cavendish! It is a broken flake with a light rum note and creamy Virginia taste. You can break it up a little finer and it burns great. Very highly recommend and one of my favorite McClelland tobaccos.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Buy it all, it's not going to get cheaper! If you have buyers remorse After I'll buy it from you.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I've never had the Blackwoods, but Navy Cavendish is one of my favorites. Good sweetness, and I've never been bitten by it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well guys, I ended up getting the following;
1x 100gr. McClelland Navy Cavendish Flake ( dated April 2011)

1x 100gr. McClelland FM Across The Pond ( dated August 2012)
I've got some of the Navy set out to dry right now! We'll see how good it is shortly!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Oh, I'm sure I'll eventually get it all! Me, and one other guy ( Oldpops41 on the forum) are the only ones buying tinned tobacco from him. Give me time (and money) and I'll get the rest!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well, I tried the Navy. Not really really good, but not bad either. I'm sure I'll eventually smoke it all, but I don't think I'd buy it again. Kind of a letdown, but I probably should have expected it, given my history with Va's. I should probably just stick to the 2 or 3 Va's that I know I'll smoke and keep loading up on Lat's and Burleys.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Try letting it sit with the tin open and the lid on for a few weeks than try it again, the first time I tried blackwoods flake I wasn't at all impressed then read in a bunch of reviews if you pop the tin and let it sit for a few weeks it gets much better, and it did. McC's have to be dried about a week almost with the lid off completely to get to an acceptable moisture content for a good smoke. Your experience with navy cav sounds like mine with blackwoods, now I love blackwoods flake. Or let it dry for a good few days then let it sit with the lid on, Mc C's are way too wet out of the tin to give you a good smoke I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.