McClelland - No. 24 (Matured Virginias) too dry?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
Looking for previous experience with anyone who has opened a tin and smoked McClelland - No. 24 (Matured Virginias). I just got an order from big vendor and when I opened it, it feels really dry. Was not expecting moist, but feels too dry.
Is this normal for the McC Matured Virginas line?

Having not seen how dry yours is, nor checked the condition of your tin... Just on my own experience... No, some McC blends are a little dryer, some wetter. This one doesn't strike me as too dry, but it is way dryer than any of the European blends. I like them dry, as it brings out the flavors more pronounced when smoked very slow. The steam interferes with taste and adds to the bite, IMO. Others may like them more moist, but to each his own.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
No. 24 usually comes drier than many of the other flakes. To me it's perfect out of the tin. No need to dry for an hour or cube cut or all the other trouble you have to go to with some flakes. Enjoy, it and FVF are constantly switching places as my No. 1 flake.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
No. 24 usually comes drier than many of the other flakes. To me it's perfect out of the tin.
I agree with Lochinvar. Just finished a tin of #24 not too long ago, and the flakes did come drier than other McClelland blends I've had. The flakes felt dry to the touch, but I think with the way McC cuts their flakes, they're in no danger of losing any moisture they still have on the inside. It seems almost impossible to dry them out "too much."

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
Just had a bowl of this a couple of days ago from a jarred tin I bought in June. Perfect moisture level for me - but surely drier than FVF. It's the same moisture level as the 2015 Christmas Cheer as far as I can tell. Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.