Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
McClelland No. 22 Virginia Pipe Tobacco from the 'McClelland Matured Virginia'

line.

The tin description states the following,
A balanced blend of Eastern and Middle belt Virginias aged in cakes to develop their natural sweetness. A zesty tobacco with rich undertones, coarse enough to smoke on windy days outdoors, but easily rubbed-out to suit any occasion.
I popped open a 3.5oz. 2008 tin and right away detected the ketchup and vinegar aroma McClelland is known for. I've been smoking this blend weekly for two months now and enjoy it. It comes in broken flakes and my tin was at the correct moisture level and needed no drying time. I rubbed the flakes out and only occasionally required a relight. The flavor is really something special having a wonderful tart / tang sweetness about it. I don't find it to be very complex but it is full flavored and satisfying. Easily an all day tobacco for Virginia lovers!
Very nice toasty sweetness with mild spiciness in this Savinelli Octavia 138 T1.
22_12.jpg

22_123.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Hey man, thanks for the review. Must be nice to have a tin with that much age on it. I keep McClelland's Christmas Cheer on hand all the time because I love the sweetness of their Virginias. I will have to get a tin of this one as well.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
This is my personal favorite straight Virginia. It is medium bodied with a sweet "tang" to the smoke. It is not grassy to my tastes (like I found OGS to be). It is great as it is, but with a few years of age on it, it becomes extremely good. I tried all the McClelland VAs back in 1999 and this was the one I stuck with as a favorite. If you like the tinned #22, try the bulk version. To me, it tastes very similar to its tinned cousin.
Also, try mixing half and half with Dark Star...

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I just take a few flakes of Dark Star and a few flakes of VA #22 and fully rub the two out in the palm of my hand. Mix them manually and place in the pipe. This was recommended to me by a clerk at Faders in Towson, MD last summer. The first time I tried it, it was one of the few Zen experiences I have had with a pipe.
We all know how difficult Dark Star is to keep lit. The #22 acts almost as tinder, and also adds some more dimension to the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.