PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I purchased 4oz from cupojoes with the intent to add a little zing to some of my blends that I felt needed something more; I like strong flavors. The tobacco was extremely dark and moist with almost no scent. I added a bit to Frog Morton on the Town for my midnight smoke tonight. It's hard to describe the flavor and the intensity that the Perique added. Half way through the bowl I was hit with an hot mint like flavor, almost like an intense cinnamon and mint. It was very nice and definitely upped the flavor. I still exploring my tastes for English blends. Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, what blends did you add Perique to?

Aug 14, 2012
Sometimes I put it in Gawith & Hog. broken scotch cake. It is also good in equal parts with a Virginia (I use Macbarens #1) and McClellands Turkish ribbon.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Just get it overwith already and have a small bowl of it on it's own. I enjoyed the flavor but not the nicotine and bite. I have not gotten around to really using it a whole lot yet for spicing up blends.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
@Eric
I had a lot in my pipe last night. I didn't feel any nicotine effect, though I seem to be dulled to nicotine anyway. And I've heard enough from others on this forum to know that pure Perique is not pleasant on its own!

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I've been mixing a bit of Perique with H&H Black House for that little, as you put it, extra zing.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
ilike perique, i thought it had musty whiskey odor which i liked. i mixed it with cube cut burley. never smoked it by itself. i think it is a good condiment tobac.
take care.
mike.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Top D -- Like virtually all perique in pipe blends, it's almost certainly what some have taken to calling "Acadian" perique, which in turn contains plenty of the "original" St. James leaf. Put another way, Acadian perique IS St James Perique, only it's mixed with some burley that's been processed the same way. This is done to ensure consistency and smokeability. No major blender in the US or Britain has used "pure" St James perique in several decades. The distinction between "real" and "Acadian" perique was first made up a few years ago by some marketing guys who were trying to push their particular product by disparaging everyone else, according to GL Pease, who has described their tactics as "unscrupulous" and dishonest since both types contain the same "pure" leaf from St James parish.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
@TopD
This is from 4noggins:
McClelland Bulk BLENDING PERIQUE

Rare and precious, this dark, fragrant condiment tobacco comes in wooden casks from St. James Parish, Louisiana, where it has been produced in time-honored fashion since the days when the local natives pressed it in tree trunks. Use it sparingly.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Has anyone compared the McClelland perique with the stuff that is available from C&D or is there no appreciable difference?

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
To my taste buds, the McClelland product tastes mostly like pepper while the C&D perique has more of a stewed fruit/raisin flavor. They are both good blending tobaccos -- it's all about what you want.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i like the stuff. i can see where it amp up any mixture or blend. i have not tried it straight. i will do that soon. i have smoked latakia straight and it is good. thumbs up for perique.
mike.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
To me doctorhoss is correct. When I flavor with Perique, what comes out in the end is a nuance of what goes in, and there is a distinct flavor difference between McClelland and C&D.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
5% Perique added to P.A. works well.
it sure does cortezattic--add a little Latakia also and it really adds to the old classic--

thanks for tipping me off a few years ago CA
WB

Status
Not open for further replies.