PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Hello fellow pipers!
To be honest, i have yet to try an aromatic that made me go "Woah... nice!". A feeling i have had from every other genre of pipe tobacco. It's not to say that i can't enjoy a pipeful of an aromatic now and then, but it is always mostly then.
Some here have spoken well of McClelland's aromatics. The only one i have tried is Holiday Spirit 2015. It smelt nice, and to a certain degree tasted nice, but i felt it wasn't interesting enough, a bit monotonous.
I would like to hear from you which McClelland aromatics you like and which ones are worth looking out for.
Thank you in advance and have a wonderful weekend!

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thank you CE, Mike Thompson, and Winton for your replies. I have never tried Deep Hollow or Baklava. Neither do i have access to these particular blends.
Let's keep those suggestions coming in!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's also Grey Havens. But if you're interested in trying out aromatics, why bother with McClelland? First off, they're gone. Secondly, when they were around they weren't much into making aromatics and for people who really like aromatics, McClelland wasn't ever at the top of their list. You have other options to explore, like Sutliff, Hearth & Home, C&D, etc, who actually make aromatics as a serious part of what they like to offer to smokers rather than an afterthought.
Here's a simple way to begin looking at what's around:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Aromatic

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I like several McC aros, but I agree that you're better off exploring some of the other highly rated aros that you can actually get your hands on.

I've started that process myself.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
bulk blends like 2010 were good. Lots of jars in B&Ms carried renamed Mcclelland bulks. I find the aromatics to be generally light on the toppings and added for room note.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
That's the thing... There is still access to dozens of McClelland aromatics, so they aren't technically gone yet.
I have been trying other aromatics, and the choices made were based on the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. I haven't yet come across something that moves me. And while there could be other options, i'd like to know which McClelland ones are worth actually trying before they are gone for good.
Just to clarify, I much prefer any other blend types over aromatics... Until i find the few that connects with me, that is.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks Maker, i didn't see your reply before i sent out the previous message.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
Funny, my favorite aro is Holiday Spirit. Now to be fair I only have tried the 2017 version. Don't know how different the different years are but 2017 in a Meer is awesome IMO.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
McLelland aromatics were not my thing. I never found one I liked much. I did (and do) like their 2045 bulk Oriental mixture, which could be considered a “semi” aromatic due to the topping. I’ve got a couple jars of it cellared and love that it is a solid VA/ Oriental with a nice room note and just enough sweetness to be really smooth. But as has already been said, find others to like, as McC’s will be like overpriced aromatic mediocre hens teeth. I really enjoy Scotty’s Butternut Burley from P&C and Three Blind Moose from 4Noggins as aros. Those are the only 2 I’ve ever liked enough to include in my regular rotation. Good luck in finding a couple that suit your fancy!

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks scrumpyjack, i'm looking for a more suitable pipe for aromatics and i'll give Holiday Spirit another go when i find it. Currently i've been using a cherry wood pipe for aromatics.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
mikefu, thank you for your reply. Will be sure to try those blends when i get the chance. Appreciate the suggestions!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
You’re welcome! I prefer Butternut Burley of the two, and have it at least 3x per week, which is weird as I never crave any other aros. I enjoy Three Blind Moose a lot, but seldom find myself actually wanting it prior to seeing it on my shelf. Read some reviews and give ‘em a whirl if you like what you read!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
McClelland made some good aros, but not as good as Boswell's - which are still available.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I like their Walnut Liquor and Three Cherry blends. The thread favorite Holiday Spirit is also good. I have four ounces of Fresh Apple around here somewhere, but I don't think I've ever actually smoked it.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I liked "Pastry" as a blender for GH ropes. Strength + great room note = YUM

Status
Not open for further replies.