PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I'd been re-visiting Maugham's novel and thought it would be a good time to try Haddo's Delight. I haven't had that much of a nicotine buzz since swallowing too much Kodiak chew as a teen. Is it known as a high nicotine tobacco? I've had other VA/Pers, Elizabethan etc but none with a kick like Haddo's.
a206b944-fb76-49c0-8be4-ebe5610ae331_zpsci99wsbs.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've never read The Magician, but I liked The Razor's Edge, The Moon and Sixpence and Of Human Bondage. The Summing Up is also a good read.
Maugham, by the way, was a pipe smoker.
sommerset_maugham.jpg

0621_somerset-maugham.jpg

133554-004-A3352616.jpg

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Cool finds pitchfork. The Razor's Edge is one of my favorites. Not a bad movie either, there are a couple of versions but Bill Murray actually did quite well in an uncharacteristic role.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Checked out the tobacco review--the strength rating is a gauge of nicotine not taste or room note I presume?

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I've only read The Magician and Of Human Bondage, but The Razor's Edge is my next Maugham read for sure.
As far as pipe smoking goes, there is a passage in Of Human Bondage where Philip is sitting in the park, homeless and starving smoking bowl after bowl in his pipe to take his mind off of his hunger. That segment has always stood out to me. It is beautifully human and tragic and wretched.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
As far as pipe smoking goes, there is a passage in Of Human Bondage where Philip is sitting in the park, homeless and starving smoking bowl after bowl in his pipe to take his mind off of his hunger. That segment has always stood out to me. It is beautifully human and tragic and wretched.
It's been over 15 years since I read it and I don't remember that passage. I'll have to remedy that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I read his collected short stories. No small collection that, but good.
Who made the pipe with the bamboo shank? It looks like a recent Bob Hayes straight Dublin I purchased, rusticated with bamboo shank.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
That there is a $33 Road Town. Have to admit, it's a nice little pipe. I'd like to see a pic of your Bob Hayes for comparison.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, Haddo's has a solid nic kick to it. I enjoy it every once in a while.
That there is a $33 Road Town.
Hot damn! That's a cool looking pipe. How does it smoke?

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I've only smoked that one bowl of Haddo's in it and I was a bit delirious :lol: so take the report with a piece of cube cut.

It smoked well if quite open due to the bamboo shank i guess. It's light weight, all the HS studio/Road Towns seem to be smaller pipes. I prefer a bit of heft but no complaints on the quality.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Haddo's is generally considered pretty strong yeah. Not a fan myself. It definitely has that "Perique mouthfeel" a.k.a. sticking a Garden Weasel in your mouth and running it down your throat.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
You call it a garden weasel in the grill, I call it a delightful, spicy tingle. Haha

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Mr. Haddo's in The Magician was of course modeled after Alastair Crowley who liked to smoke pure or near-pure Perique laced with some liquor. Therefore the nicotine strength found in a blend named after the character named after Crowley.

Status
Not open for further replies.