PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I've heard mention many times someone "finding the right pipe" for a particular tobacco. I'm curious just how big a difference does pipe style make on your tobaccos taste. Doesn't make too much sense to me, but there's something to it I'm sure. Also are there some general agreement as far as some pipes that work well with certain pipe styles or is it all personal preference?
Edit by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think you'll find some who are rigorous in "matching" tobacco to pipe, to the other end of the spectrum where it makes no difference. I'm in the latter camp, but smoke mostly English and Balkans.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
For the most I would say there is no rigid rule and you can use any tobacco in any pipe. Said that there are few things which can be considered in matching tobacco with a pipe. First of all the more complex is the blend (in other way the more tobacco components there are) the more you might want to consider a wide bowl as you might want to have a larger surface to expose the different components. So for example for a complex English mixture you might want to consider a wide bowl while for a straight virginia you might want to consider a tall smaller diameter bowl.

The other thing is that with plugs/flakes/coins you might want to consider a relatively smaller bowl both in wideness (as easier to pack) and in depth (as these lasts longer than ribbon cut and you don't need too much unless you are planning for a 3 hour smoke). Given this I generally choose the tobacco first and based on this I choose the pipe. But as said these are pretty loose rules if any and you can do pretty much what you like.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm one who simply enjoys the pipe for what it is, a rather simple way to smoke tobacco. Others like complicate the experience. Do what gives you a good experience. There are very few, three I think, hard and fast rules to the pipe. People can only attest to their experiences.
Four rules, now that I think about it.

Reactions: Samuel Perez

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I would say it depends on what you smoke. I smoke a very wide diversity of tobaccos and often find that what smokes and tastes great in one pipe doesn't work at all in another. Certain pipes and tobaccos always seem to hit a synergy with each other. As to why, I will leave that up to others to figure out.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
I have heard that a pipe would smoke certain blends or a type of blends so well that one would think that the pipe was specifically made for that blend. It would just sing in that blend. Therefore, one could find the blend that works well in a certain pipe through trial-and-error. Some would smoke VAs to see if their new pipe smoke VA well. If not, one would go on to Latakia, Aromatic, and so on to find a match.
Or some say that certain pipe shapes or material enhance the flavor, which has a point. However, these are a general rule of thumb. There are exceptions. For example, I enjoy flake in the pot-shaped pipe. Or English blends in a MM Corn Cob (From what I've heard, English and MM do not get along)
However, it is a personal preference. Whichever you choose, if it works well for you, then that's all it matters!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"often find that what smokes and tastes great in one pipe doesn't work at all in another. Certain pipes and tobaccos always seem to hit a synergy with each other."
These are my findings also. I have some blends that in certain pipes really sing and the flavours flood out but the same blend smoked in another pipe can be as dull as dishwater, yet that very pipe will make a different blend sing.
One of pipesmoking's many mysteries :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
A while back I purchased pipes in 1mm intervals from 15-24 for the purpose of learning how diameter impacts what I taste. My findings were, in brief, bizarre. As a result I now smoke all new blends in every pipe. The core is the same but some pipes modify some blends in interesting and often unpredictable ways.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Apart from Ennerdale Flake (which I only smoke in one pipe) I tend to use pipes for different cuts of tobacco. Flakes in taller and quite narrow bowls, mixtures in short, wider bowls etc. No hard and fast rules though, sometimes it's just whatever tobacco I fancy in whatever pipe I've picked up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smoke any tobacco in any pipe, with due respect for blends like Lakelands that might ghost. Otherwise, no rules. A few hints sometimes work, but they are merely hints. For complex blends, those with three or more tobaccos, sometimes broader chambers give you more variety in what's burning at one time and expand these blends. For burley, especially dryer leaf like Semois, I like a deeper bowl to extend the smoke. Smaller bowls often give a full-length smoke from flake/coin/plug/rope blends. But thee are just notions. Often, none of this applies. It's fun to defy the rules when you get a good smoke out of it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love to match tobacco with my pipes. I match Carter Hall in my Rossi, but I like Carter Hall in my Stanwell. My corncobs are all dedicated to Carter Hall. And my Petersons, the few times I smoke them, get Carter Hall.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
This topic fascinates me! I'm too inexperienced to have an input and smoking selectively it'll probably take me a while to make any progress with my own pipes. :puffy:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Bowl size and depth can be a way to determine what tobacco type might suit a particular pipe. I generally give any pipe Virginia Flake or VaPer to start. If they don't smoke great in that pipe, I move to something with Orientals but no Latakia. Next, I move to blends with Latakia. If nothing does the trick, I'll try something like Amphora, Borkum Riff or SWR Aromatic. I have a beautiful older Parker that is on its last legs if it doesn't pick something it likes soon.
Mike S.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I have a beautiful older Parker that is on its last legs if it doesn't pick something it likes soon."
Mike, you can't go wrong with a Parker Pipe whether old or new...give it time and you will become best of friends :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fortunately, my pipes are as indiscriminate as I am. They like all tobaccos I like and have pressured me to not smoke stuff I don't like. So I don't, except when trying out something new. Then they sulk a bit, but are good as new after their bath and nap.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have very few Briars, 14. Of those 14, 5 will smoke anything I put in them. Of the others 7 are either pro Lat or pro VA. Of the remaining 2, one is VaPer only and the other is a specifically Dark Star pipe.
It's weird but after decades with some, and at least months with the others, thats how it's worked out.
Cobs I use indiscriminately.

Status
Not open for further replies.