PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I was told that a pipe is an extension of your personality.

A pipe in your mouth tells the world who you are.
How does one go about matching a pipe shape to their personality?

Aug 1, 2012
I think it's less about the shape and more about the physical and mental presence.
Anyway, if it looks beautiful to you or feels like an old friend it probably fits your personality. I like fat pipes so what does that tell you about me? :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just read an article today on a Russian pipe maker, Vladimir Grechukhin. He likened some of his unique pipes shapes to the classic American chopper. I'm a fan of old style British and American choppers and own a '66 Triumph bobber. I hadn't thought about the similarity of a choppers shape to a pipe but perhaps that explains my love of the GBD 9438 shape, Comoys 499 or other chubby Rhodesian shapes?

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've heard the theory that pipe shape choice should be partially based on body type. For example, tall thin men choosing billiards. Don't know if there's much to it. I'm mostly just inclined to anything traditional, usually in the English/Irish vein, which I find to be both aesthetically pleasing and more "me" than other types. There are those pipes that I think look great but I don't see myself smoking. Bulldogs come to mind.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Question is not does one's pipe fit his or her personality question is does one purchase a pipe that fits there own personality or do they purchase a pipe to feel different (better) about there personality?
Everything we do is to improve who we are I choose a wife who is best suited to make me a better Man so I feel that I purchased a pipe that would make me feel the same way.
Maybe a little far fetched but after all every thing we are as individuals derives from something.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I doubt there's much validity to the theory that most pipe smokers buy only pipes that match their own physical apperance.I know that I have pipes of several different shapes.I supect that most other pipe smokers do as well..Though I once had a friend who only owned bulldog shaped pipes.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am a straight pipe or slightly bent guy. I have a Pete System Premier 303 reserved for English blends but my other pipes are mostly straight pipes. Still love my Castello pipes but I have been leaning more towards American Carvers lately. There really is something to a nice 5/32 in drilled Cumberland stem for comfort and a nice open draw. The wide open draw is what led me to Castello's in the first place.
Here is a tread I started a while back that may be worth checking out.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/your-pipe-is-a-reflection-of-your-personality

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Thank you for the link gwtwdbss, that is what I was looking for.
My two favorites right now is a Hardcastle Bulldog estate pipe I purchased from member numbersix off of Briar Bid, and a Bjarne Viking Rhodesian from Pipes & Cigars.
Don't know what that says about my personality...

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Maybe it has more to do with intelligence.

I know I'm at least as smart as a block of wood.
pipeblankref2.jpg

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I prefer straight pipes, and shapes that aren't freehands, but aren't the traditional shapes either.I like odd looking pipes, which fits I suppose, because I am odd.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
For the most part my pipes are a reflection of how I use them. I see them as a tool for smoking tobacco. I generally need both of my hands to use the computer or look through books. So almost everything I own is clenchable. Most of my pipes are bent. My favorite shape is the bent apple. I also frequently use my cobs because they are light and easy to clench. Maybe this says I'm practical?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am drawn to Canadians, but have a lot of different shaped pipes now. The horn haunted me until I got one. Now my mind is being pummeled with visions of a spigot pipe so I will be set in case I deploy again... but they tend to be so spendy. Sigh.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I think that your personality does comes out when you choose a pipe. I go for rounded bowls and slightly bent stems. The whole purpose of a pipe, for me, is to relax. I want something that feels good in my hand.
That being said, being the cautious guy that I am, it took a bit for me to go further afield - I now have a bulldog and a Falcon. Working on a Kirsten, but waiting on parts.

Jan 8, 2013
The pipes I own are pipes I bought because they 'spoke' to me, for lack of a better explanation. They all looked like a pipe I could see myself smoking, and all are in fact bent. My favorite two being my Nording Signature Freehand, with no stain or wax, and my Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2013. Straight pipes just don't speak to me at all. They have to have at least a slight bend to catch my eye. Whether or not my pipes, being unfinished, or stained, or even a high shiny gloss, match my personality, I'm not so sure. With me I think it's more of a mood. I was down and smoked my unfinished savinelli. I was in a good mood and smoked my Bjarne. I was feeling special and smoked my Peterson. I was watching a western (not really a mood but I think you get the picture) and smoked my Nording freehand. I'm sure as I get more pipes in the future, I'll have more to match to my moods whether sad or angry, or happy, or just plain content or whatever.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
My pipes are definitely a reflection of my personality. They are all old and cheap, just like me.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
+1 Anthonyrosenthal74. I've either bought pipes because I chanced upon them at church sales or antique stores, or because I saw it and it just "called" to me.

I ain't got nearly as fine a collection as some on here, but the pipes I have managed to collect thus far are rather eclectic. The variety of shapes that appeal to me either means that I have a very complex and multifaceted personality or simply that there is no correlation between pipe shape and personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.