PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
Forgive me if I am repeating this question as I am a newbie to pipe mag, which is best to fire up your pipe? Match or lighter? For's and against..... Or is it personal preference?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Blow torch. Or try rubbing two pipes together for a very long time.
Seriously, I use a Zippo ligher with a pipe insert.
Winton

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I do like to use wooden matches however I got sick of having matches all over (waiting for them to cool), so I purchased an Old Boy Corona lighter and haven't looked back. Great reliable lighter with a great look. I now use that 90% of the time.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Matches until I can draw the flame into the bowl enough then I use a Colibri butane pipe lighter.
-Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
On the rare occasion that I smoke indoors, I like a match, but I'd say 99.9% of the time I use a regular old disposable butane lighter.

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
Lighter. Never have used matches. I smoke outside so wind is always an issue.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Wooden matches always. Too many scorching issues with lighters.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I once used lighters exclusively. But now, when I can, I use matches, largely because of the article featured in this thread: Thermodynamics of Pipe-Smoking.
I've yet to come to a conclusion on whether the article's assertions make all that much of a difference. Only time will tell. But it did turn my attention towards the little wooden sulfur sticks as a fire source, something I never would have considered otherwise.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Matches offers you the best taste and match flame temperature is the lowest that wont overburn the tobacco. Lighters are good companion and offers medium flame temperature, will help for all situations. Colibri, Corona, and Promethues are very good lighters, I myself like Prometheus.

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Yeah... since I started using matches instead of the butane lighter I find that I'm not overscorching the tobacco. I notice that the smoke tastes better. Seems my pipe would sour faster whenever I used the lighter. It just burns too hot as compared to the matches.
Oh, and that Thermodynamics article is a great read. Makes total sense.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I like a good old fashioned stick match. I use them when Im in my shop but once outside I switch to my zippo with an insert.

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
Wooden matches only.
Big kitchen matches most of the time.
I feel I have the most control with them = won't burn up the outside/top of the bowl, they taste the best, and they are old-school.

kozlee

Lurker
Mar 1, 2012
Check out the mod I did on my zippo pipe lighter to add a tamper.

www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Zippo-Pipe-Lighter/

Status
Not open for further replies.