PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Vacuum sealing is a good subject for research. Several years ago I bought a little item called the VacuVin, or something like that,...it was supposed to keep your opened bottles of red wine from turning crappy overnight,.....it never did. And I wondered why. I yanked on that stupid little pump till I thought the bottle was gonna cave in.
From what I understand, at least in the case of red wine, it's the exposure to oxygen that causes the wine to begin to deteriorate, not the lowered barometric pressure inside the bottle as compared to that of the dining room.

Which makes me also wonder if vacuum sealing a can or jar of tobacco has any effect at all...other than decreasing the pressure inside the container which causes the seal to be much better.
I understand the concept of vacuum sealing food inside a plastic bag,....you're sucking the bag tightly around the food and as a result removing most of the oxygen, but lowering the atmospheric pressure in a can or bottle?
Isn't the O2 still there?
Any scientists out there?

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
My understanding was that an actual vacuum in a bottle would cause it to shatter -- or crumble if it were metal I suppose. Vacuums do all sorts of funny stuff and at the very least -- why do you think the baggie seals around the food so tight? You lower pressure enough -- the outside pressure crushes it (that and the force of suction probably plays a hand in the case of baggies)

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
To achive a vacuum on my Mason jars, I simply heat the tobacco in the microwave for 5 or 10 seconds and applt the lid before it cools. I'm not trying to get all the air out, just make sure the lid doesn't let any air in. Va's and vapers need a little air to age. English mixtures will loose flavor if left out in the air.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My preference is sealed mason jars. No hassle with fancy dodads. Just warm the tobacco a wee bit and slap on the lid. Soon it will make that familiar pop and it's all sealed up.

Jan 3, 2011
Does the warming of the tobacco cause in change in its taste/quality? I know heat may cause chemical reactions. Any rule of thumb on the microwave: e.g. 1 oz = 30 second, etc?
Thanks for your thoughts and sharing of experience. .

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
What is the warming procedure? Please detail it so that those of us that are unfamiliar can replicate it.

I cellared a bunch of tobacco in jars with no seal because it just would not seal no matter what I did.

I did not microwave it though to be upfront.

A bit of a thread on methods to successfully getting sealed jars for cellaring would be helpful, me thinks.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Really it doesn't matter if they seal or not. I just like it better if they do. I Wash the jars in hot water as I have no dish washer . Stick the lids on the stove in a pan of hot water to soften the rubber . Stuff the warm jars, hit them in the microwave for about 10 seconds and then slap on a lid and ring.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
For me, it's just 10 or 15 seconds in the microwave with the tobacco in the jar. When the thing goes DING, I pull it out and apply the lid. As the contents cool, the lid seals. I haven't experienced any loss of flavor except for my first go-round with Black Irish Twist. It was wet and I nuked it three times for 30 seconds each. That was way to long. The stuff came out dry enough to smoke but lost that burnt beef/road tar flavor.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
The tobacco I've placed in jars seems to save much better. I've never heated my jars. I've not noticed anything good or bad really as a result of heating or not. I think it falls under personal preferences.

mauro

Lurker
Jan 9, 2011
Molto interessante questa discussione.

Però non ho capito se bastano 15 s al micronde o bisogna farlo bollire il barattolo?

:) per il sottovuoto?Quanto si mantiene in anni? 8O

grazie ciao
[Translated - Bob]
A lot interesting this argument. But I have not understood if 15 s are enough to the micronde or must make it to bubble the jar? for the sottovuoto? How much is maintained in years? thanks

Jan 3, 2011
Oldmaus, thank you for the clearer question, and to the others, thank you for your sharing of experience. I just purchased a pound of tobacco, and will be making use of your insights.
Thanks!

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Mauro, if I understand your question, 10 to 15 seconds is just enough to warm the tobacco a little. When it cools, the air left inside contracts and a light vacuum is formed, sealing the jar.
I have some McCelland's 5110 that was jarred 5 or 6 years ago and is still as good as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.