PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The day has finally arrived for some justice! Marvel Comics is crediting Jack Kirby with being the co-creator of the characters he did with Stan Lee. Even if it was to avoid the matter being heard by the Supreme Court, it's finally happened. I only wish Jack and Roz were here to see this day.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-comics-changes-credits-wake-745318

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Very late but I'm glad they finally credited Jack Kirby. Now they need to find a way to give his name, anyway, a cameo in every Marvel movie from now on!

May 31, 2012
stan1.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Misterlowercase: That's funny as hell... and sadly, all too true. If you ever read Stan Lee's deposition in the Kirby lawsuit, you'd have even less respect for the liar. He denied that Kirby had any input in creating the Marvel Universe, and weaseled through many of his answers. It was pathetic, and it was perjury. Those of us who were in this fight for Jack for so many years feel vindication.
Now, if we can somehow get the greedy Bob Kane Estate to finally and rightfully credit Bill Finger with co-creating Batman. That's not going well, either.

May 31, 2012
Those of us who were in this fight for Jack for so many years feel vindication.
No doubt.
...and thanks for posting stuff like this.

I used to be a total comix head fanboy and constantly read TCJ, but I've lost track and don't buy comics as much as I used to - but there's so much good stuff out there!
Some of my fondest memories are from hanging out at comic book shops!
My stupidest mistake: when I was about 15 I had found a good condition copy of X-Men #1, but later on I really really got into the 60's underground stuff and ended up selling it because I thought I was "over" the superhero stuff - wotta dumb mistake! My narrow vision not only lost possible future financial reward I could have gained, but also is a crippling indictment of my stupidity of chasing "cool" and not having a broader and deeper perspective of the inherent great mythologies involved in superhero comics.
Most underground comix are near-worthless today, compared to the superhero stuff, but Jaxon's historical works remain amongst my favorites, also Greg Irons, Rory Hayes, Rick Griffin and Victor Moscoso are very valuable to me personally even though their old books ain't worth much in todays market...
It took me a while to come around to truly appreciating the likes of Alex Raymond, Wally Wood, Jack Cole, etc etc, but when I did, a whole new world opened up.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
great news and, as stated, long overdue.
at one time in my youth in the '60's, had the first 24 issues of "ff" and their first 3 annuals...same with spidey and x-men...sobering, when I think of how much younger I could have retired if I had held on to them.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I know Jack and his wife Roz always believed he'd win in the end. It is sad that they didn't live to see this. Jack passed away in Feb. '94 and Roz in '97. I had many conversations with them about this subject, and I believe the stress shortened Jack's life. I did what little I could to help in the fight over the years, and there were others who did much, much more. Jack wanted all of this not for himself, but for his kids and grand kids. He was a real family man, and a great friend. I doubt a day has gone by where I didn't have cause for one reason or another to think about Jack. He was comic's greatest creative force and maybe now, more people will learn who he was and what he did, because without him there is certainly no Marvel comics as we know them today. You can easily make the case that comics are what they are in large measure because of Jack Kirby.
I write this post under the shadow of a framed unpublished penciled Thor and Galactus page Jack drew in 1969. He always inspires the rest of us.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope the issue was mediated rather than worked through the courts. Intellectual property law ( I hear )

can take years to go to resolution. Well, I guess this has already.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just saw this Veterans Day salute from Marvel Comics to Jack Kirby. I'm glad they did it, but I also believe they would not have if the law suit was still going on.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/23645/remembering_marvel_veterans_jack_kirby

Status
Not open for further replies.