PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
As you guys might know from my past thread, I'm trying to get acquainted with Virginia. She is this sweet gal that I want to learn to know better. Whether alone or with her friend Perique ... I am easy going.
Or so I thought. Especially with this special blend Marlin Flake.

I bought a tin of it long time ago, and like any man, I love the smell of her hair, but I'd really like to love the taste of her tongue.
So far, I've been deceived.
Enough of the train station poetry.

Every single attempts I've had with Marlin Flake resulted in the same, different pipes, different times.

I love how it smells, I take a few flakes, roll them, put them in the pipe, break a flake for tinder, put it on, light it up ... yuck, hard to smoke, weird taste.
I find it really not enjoyable.

What am I doing wrong ?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
My method with most flakes is to really fluff it up in a dedicated, medium sized, food processor. The really cheap one I tried first wasn't powerful enough.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Subsidiary question : What are the purposes of specific tobacco conditioning methods?

Why flakes, why shag, why cube cut?

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
The objective is to prepare the flake so combustion is easy.
Rubbing flake by hand can be hard. Fold and stuff may not lead to an even burn in all flakes. Flakes are a bit thicker than the shags you find in ribbon cut tobacco. @mcitinner is using a food processor to essentially end up in a uniform, easy to burn consistency. @chasingembers is ending up with tiny cubes, which are easier to burn than the uneven longish strands you may end up with when rubbing flake.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I traded my first acquisition; I just didn't like it.
There are too many tobaccos out there to settle.

Dec 28, 2015
When I first tried Marlin flake I thought it was amazing. A very unique sweet tasting Va blend. But I soon found it to be a little over the top for my taste. Too sweet in a very unnatural way. I much prefer Old Gowrie or Hal o the Wynd now personally. Maybe you are just skipping past the first step much quicker than I did.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Carver it's mostly a learning experience I think. Trying the different textures and moisture levels eventually will lead you to what you like most. For example the HU you're getting. I chop it up in the food processor and it's nice and fluffy, and I love the way it burns; but others may like it better as it is right out of the can, because the burn will be different.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Marlin Flake can be a fickle mistress. The first time I tried it, it was fresh and tasted funky. I jarred it and put it away. I scored some aged Marlin Flake and for the way I smoke it, rubbed out in a dublin, it just hits the notes. So now I only smoke the aged stuff.
BUT here's the thing. Smoking cadence, body chemistry, pipe, moisture, age and packing can affect ANY tobacco. I've traded enough baccy that I can tell you this simple truth. Sometimes you hold'em and sometimes you trade them away. Just like pipes. I've traded pipes that I could not get to smoke correctly and the next person in line loves how it smokes.
Keep at it.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
@carver: it's about the only thing I can think of - and the first two comments also went there. In my case, is a reasonable suspicion for a flake.
It took me a long time to abandon fold and stuff with certain blends, which I did because "they're flakes". Rubbing and breaking, as well as cube cut, helped me love flakes as mundane as University Flake.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I had to cube cut it and then dry for a couple of hours before it smoked well for me. Whilst it doesn't bite if smoked a little too quickly it does kill the flavour.
It's worth experimenting with

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Then that's what I'll do. Thanks for the suggestions. True that it might just be also that I am not too much in that.
Anyone experienced such situation: really want to like a blend but proved disappointing after many tries?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I prepare mine by cutting just a tad shorter than the depth of the bowl . Then I slice like little tooth picks . The third step is to roll the toothpick sized tobacco between my palms . Insert in to pipe and use the smaller pieces left on the plate to get it going . Damn that sounds confusing .

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Anyone experienced such situation: really want to like a blend but proved disappointing after many tries?
Yep. I struggled with flakes when I first started smoking them, I did start with SG flakes which is probably the hardest place to start. I loved the smell of SG St James but most bowls just turned into a sticky mess of relights and left me disappointed. I figured out that the drying times suggested on forums where massively unrated for my taste buds, discovered cube cutting and never looked back.
As an aside I much prefer SG plugs over their flakes, they seem drier and more well behaved when smoking.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
@igloo : not sure I got that right, but thanks for participating :)
discovered cube cutting and never looked back.

@drennan: do you let those cubes dry as well ?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Sure have. Then you just jar it up and come back to it several months down the road. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.