PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
This blend comes in a nice tin adorned with an antique looking yellow label. Upon opening the pop top I was greeted with a sweet, slightly sour smelling, long folded flake, smelled wonderful. Moisture content was a little damp, but this actually worked quite well and I needed no drying time. Now I will say getting this lit took quite a few false lights, but once the chamber was glowing and slightly ashy things went very well; I have had dryer flakes take just as long or longer so no big deal; its the nature of this tobacco and not the moisture content IMO. The flavor was divine and the aroma was superb. I tracked notes of brown sugar, hay, toasted nuts, sweet sourdough and a nice natural smokiness. The perique added a slight strength, but not in heat, this burned very cooly after getting it going. The Black Cav, mellowed this out nicely and made the traditional hay taste/aroma more subdued and pleasant. The BC also added some body which was very appealing. This has been a regular of mine for quite some time and will continue to be so. HOTW and OG are quite good as well but for me OG is too mild, while HOTW is too strong in a harsh manner and is monogustative; the Marlin does strengthen and change as the bowl proceeds downward. 4 Stars out of 4.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Can't disagree. One of my absolute favourites. Actually tends to be my all day smoke. I love the stuff. When I have a pipe in my mouth with this in it I am taken somewhere I can't actually describe. Just constant dribbling wisps of wonderfully sweet flavourful tobacco smoke rolling down my chin. Filling my beard and mustache with a scent that only serves to make me want another bowl shortly after finishing. The slower the better with this one. It almost demands it.
The choice between another bowl of this or kissing the Mrs is getting harder these days :D
I said that out loud didn't I?

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Ordered a sample yesterday based on this review. I'm not to keen on perique but the flaovour and aroma that seadog referred too tempted me.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
This is really a nicely subdued tobacco with regard to the perique, some people don't really notice it. For me it blended in well and contributed in a subtle manner. This really is a great blend, sweetish, lots of good VA flavor, hay like, roasted characteristics and caramelized sugar. Enjoy and let us know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.