PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I just bought an Italian pipe and was reminded of an old good smoker I have by Mario Grandi, also Italian. It's a bent apple, with a good amount of briar. I picked it up (along with a couple nose-warmers) maybe 10 years ago on ebay and never looked back for more.
The bottom of the pipe is packed with beautiful birds-eye and the bowl has a very nice, tight flame grain going all the way around. Also birds-eye on the shank, above and below. Aside from the stem, which is mostly black, but has a bit of a swirl with some grey and muted gold which I don't care for, it's quite a nice pipe and I've seen similar pipes by artisans going for upwards of $500. This one is symmetrical. I do remember reading in the past about how some of his pipes could be a bit wonky, because I guess he did most of them freehand and maybe enjoyed a few glasses of something to get into the carving mood.
When he made this one, he either had his glasses on or was sober. And I wound up with a very beautiful pipe. I just had a look back, and I don't see any pipes listed by him. It's a shame. I think for people starting out, and discovering new shapes, his pipes were an excellent value if you could find one with good dimensions. Mine was something around $50-75 if I remember correctly. Don't think I paid more than that.
Here's some pictures. Poor quality, taken with my computer camera, but I don't use a cell phone and a proper camera is too much hassle for a quick shot. If you find an estate kicking around and are looking for additions to the pipe collection that won't hurt the wallet, some of these were a steal.
I'm tempted to send this off to someone for a stem that's more to my liking.
screen-shot-2018-12-26-at-63450-pm-600x347.png

mario11-600x400.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Mario Grandi is not a person... at least, not the person who makes Mario Grandi pipes. That line is made at the Pierluigi factory in Italy by Pierluigi family members and other hired pipe makers. They also make the Mastro Beraldi pipes and some other brands that I can't recall offhand.
In any event, I do know that the Pierluigi's do sell Mario Grandi pipes on eBay. You might find some on other pipe sites from time to time and I do agree that they are excellent value pipes as I've seen many that are far superior in looks than their price point.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
That's great information about the Mario Grandi name. Thank you.
When I bought the few I have long ago, I remember there being a load of pipes to choose from. 20-30+ I just had a look before posting and saw 1-2. I only searched for "Mario Grandi" and not Pierluigi.
I may just keep an eye out for more. The one I still use on occasion, which is pictured, is a great smoker. I wish the stem was a little better, perhaps without the swirling pattern, but the briar is amazing. The pictures I put up are very poor, but the birdseye and flame grain, at least to my eye, are very impressive in person. Very tightly packed, and the entire bowl and shank is just full of it. It's surprising how much quality you can get in an inexpensive pipe. I'd expect to pay at least a few hundred for that same pipe/look if it were made by a more well known maker.
Great information, I appreciate the history on the maker. I just figured they had disappeared and was a bit sad about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.