PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I got these sticks called Puro Mapacho on EBay. Mapacho is a type of tobacco that's used by Peruvian Indians in Peru's Amazon. I cut the sticks up and shredded them in my tobacco food processor. This stuff has a powerful nicotine affect.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302038535661?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Go slow. We're assuming it's mostly tobacco. I wonder if there is much of anything else that might not be great to smoke. Not trying to be a nanny here. Could be good, as is, or as a condiment with other leaf. Be alert to see if that's nicotine or something else, and for any mouth burn that's beyond regular pipe "tongue bite" or mouth burn. Send word!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Good points, Tom. I really have no idea what's in this stuff, (kinda dumb I know) but I'm smoking the first bowl for the second time today, very slowly. Barely getting it lit, and it feels the same as a really strong nic hit. You can't smoke a whole bowl, I don't care how much tolerance you think you have for nicotine.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Says it has cloves in it, my little brother brought a bunch of clove mini cigars back from India but they weren't that strong. Could you smoke these like a cigar? How long before eBay takes them down?

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
It says made with nicotiana rustica. I grew a variety of rustica a couple of years ago and it's insanely strong stuff! I don't care for the smell and taste when burned but found it was pretty good in snuff.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I'm going to order some of this from a web store. Didn't know eBay carried them. Fun!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
They're probably intended to smoke like a cigar, but I think I have more control my way. Also what I'm smoking doesn't have the cinnamon and cloves. That's a different listing.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
From the EBay listing...
Description

Nicotiana Rustica, known in South America as Mapacho is used for South American shamans. Growing in the rainforest it contains up to twenty times more nicotine than common North American varieties such as Nicotiana Tabacum.

Mapacho is used extensively in Peruvian shamanism (in both Ayahuasca and Huachuma ceremonies). It is used to provide protection for individual participants and for the ceremonial space. It is used to open participants to receive positive energies and seal participants from negative energies. Mapacho is also a powerful means to convey intention.

Puro Mapacho, 2 units, 0.50"x6.25" approximately

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
You're a brave man. 20 times? SO in theory, a 3 minute smoke would deliver the nicotine of a full hour smoke of regular tobacco? I'd be green for sure.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Interesting picture from ebay. They look like they were actually rolled like a cigar. Can you tell if they are made like a cigar or made like a rope and pressed(like a carrote for perique)?
The Mapacho I have(bought a year ago)is definitely rolled and pressed. You could never smoke it like a cigar.
I suspect everyone and his brother in Peru are jumping on the Mapacho bandwagon and slapping a Mapacho label onto anything they make.
There was a video floating around showing how it is made..can't seem to find it now

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The Mapacho I have(bought a year ago)is definitely rolled and pressed. You could never smoke it like a cigar.
I don't understand what rolled and pressed actually is, and why you couldn't light up a stick. Not disagreeing, I just don't know. After I processed mine, I did pull out a few small stem-y pieces from it.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I don't understand what rolled and pressed actually is
Probably because I didn't explain it correctly.

The one I have looks to be spun into a rope, then compressed by tightly by winding a cord around it. Mine was moist but more dense than the FDA and their new regs. It also had a very unique (in a good way) smell to it.
I'll look around later today and see if I can find that video of them making it

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
There are some brave souls around here!
Laughing...I'm leaning toward "too trusting" as far as not having a clue what is actually in this stuff. Two or three minutes of sipping on a bowl of it will give you a high like no other big nic hit from all the other high octanes I've tried.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I received the same items yesterday from the same eBay seller. They are not the densely wrapped sticks like Tambolaka, but are like cigars & could be smoked as such (if you are insane or seeking a shamanic experience). Yes, if you seek a nicotine high, then Mapacho or other forms of Nicotiana rustica is just what you need. There have been anecdotal reports of fatalities from drinking Mapacho teas.

Both of the "sticks" together weighed about 16 grams, so they were not a very good deal, about $17.50/oz. If you are curious about Mapacho or other forms of Nicotiana rustica look elsewhere.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Like I said earlier it appears the Peruvians are on the bandwagon of... lets sell tons of Mapacho to the Gringos. There seem to be many manufacturers, all using their own method. I wonder.. are they all really using Mapacho tobacco?
The Mapacho I had was part of a 1 lb log. It was very moist and very, very tightly compacted something along the lines of an English plug.
Bought mine from here (actually it was a free sample): http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/6440-Peru-carrotte?highlight=jungle+tobacco

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@mcitinner1: chop it up & smoke it straight in small bowls, & experiment with mixing/blending.

My nicotine tolerance is high & I have only felt significant effects from a Brazilian Arapiraca brown rope (Castahno Super Forte) which I suspect had a high N, rustica content. No spins, hiccups, nausea, tingling or headache, just an overpowering urge to sleep & took a very restorative 30 minute power nap, though I do not recall any shamanic visions.

As you have answered your OP - yes, Mapacho is much stronger than most ropes & maybe a little stronger than Cotton Boll twist, Tambolaka, or G&H Dark Plug.

Strong Burley's like 5 Brothers, or Burley congeners like Semois do not seem as potent to me.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
This is exciting that it seems like a popular product. I'm seeing on eBay there are quite a lot of sellers.
Any of you guys with growing knowledge like jitter have any advice on best place to purchase?
I'd actually be tempted to smoke those sticks like cigars....

Status
Not open for further replies.