PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
It has been 5 years or so and I really miss it. It will be quite expensive for me to get back into pipe smoking, but I am working on it. I am sad I cant get a few blends that I loved in the past like Penzance. I became quite fond of the english flake and looking for it realize something has happened and I cant find it anywhere. Same thing goes for the pipes I loved oh so much like my Dunhill 5108s I had and the Ferndown 3* bent bulldogs, and the Bent bulldog I had Bill Ashton Taylor Commision before he passed. That pipe is Irreplaceable.
But on a positive note I am looking forward to my journey back into pipe smoking. I just need to take time to find what really calls to me. My birthday is on the 28th and I hope to have a pipe by then and some baccy. A lighter and tamper will come later. Maybe one day I will have a collection like I had before of vintage tobaccos and great English bent bulldogs.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
They were stupidly sold. I thought I was doing it for my wife who I just moved in with and she was asthmatic. But 2 years late we were married and she bought me cigars and we made a deal on how I could smoke. I had 3 5108s. One amber root, One Bruyere, and one Chestnut. 3 3* ferndown bent bulldogs. a Root with a tapered brindle stem, one reo with silver cap and a tapered stem, and one Bark with a saddle stem. Had 3 petersons. One Sherlock Holmes squire smooth, One Kinsale xl15 smoothe, one rosslare billard 106. The Ashton Smooth Bent bulldog. The size of the 5108. Then my Dunhill Unique lighter and Old Bo lighter and several custom tampers.
The only tobacco I cant get is the Penzance. All the others I just need to let age once I get them, but are still available.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
well you are back.. and get to recreate your stable. should be fun.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome, tarheel. Yours is not an uncommon story and sparks' advice is solid. Heck, I still have a sports coat I had made in 1972 because I really believe that one day It'll fit again. :P

Anyway, have fun here and let us know how you progress.

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome back to the fold. Penzance is kind of like the Bigfoot of pipe tobbaco, its sighted in different places and then quickly disappears.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
On the tamper, if you don't mind a suggestion, make your own. I made all my own pipe tools. I had the end off a sourwood shaft I made into an arrow. Whittled one end into a raven's head with an open beak and the other end is the tamper. Took me about an hour.

Mar 1, 2014
-tarheel1
...and the Bent bulldog I had Bill Ashton Taylor Commision before he passed.
Agony! My heart is writhing in my chest, I've recently become a fan of both Ashton and Bulldog shapes.

Let this be a lesson to us young pups, buy a security deposit box if you need to "quit" (ideally in Switzerland?). 'Cause it probably won't last.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well at least you gave up the pipes and tobacco for a good cause; however, it sucks that now that you can enjoy the hobby again you don't have those great pipes anymore. I've found that one of the best things about the hobby is searching for a new pipe and buying new tobacco's to try, so you'll get to experience that all over again. Welcome back to the hobby and have fun re-building your pipe collection and cellar.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Welcome Back...Many of us (I Think) have gotten rid of a pipe or two that we wish we had back.I have some rules of pipe smoking that I go by.#1 is never get rid of anything.I almost always later regret it if I do.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome back to the real world – – it's a pleasure to have you here with us, and we're looking forward to sharing many wonderful pipe experiences with you.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Re: Penzance. Just be patient. We should see another batch hit the US in a month or two. You just have to have your ear to the ground, so you know when it is available. If you like English flakes, I suggest trying the new MacBaren Latakia Flake. I bit sweeter than most, but really good.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Lestrout. That is correct. Unfortunately I did not get anywhere what they were worth. I dont remember where the chats were but yes that was me.

Status
Not open for further replies.