PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Does anyone have a recommendation on a place I could call that carries this twist that might ship it to me? I'm interested in getting ahold of it, but it's not carried here in Nevada, at least not that I've seen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What is Mammouth Cave Twist? I've been to the cave several times, beginning as a teenager. I've done several different tours including the underground river. But I've never heard of this blend. Is it sold at or near the cave?

May 4, 2015
It's a very old-school-style rope/twist of whole leaves sold as a chewing tobacco. I think it's "big" in Appalachia?
I don't know much about it - it was in the box pass box and I liked it quite a bit. I don't chew often, necessarily, but found it much more agreeable than a Red Man or similar, as those are much too sweet and heavily cased for me.
hqdefault.jpg

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Tom this old thread has several sources of Twist. I recommend Cotton Bole for one.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/twist-tobacco-in-a-pipe

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Dan (Woodsroad) likes to say, Google is your friend. Here's a source I just found. You are a braver man than me. I haven't been able to try ANY chew since I was dared as a 10 year old.
http://www.blueridgetobaccoco.com/shop/mammoth-cave-chew/

May 4, 2015
I DID actually find that site, but it's a wholesaler - not a retailer, so it doesn't do me any good.
'sides, I don't believe that's the same product, as "sweetened" doesn't make an appearance on the package I'm looking for (though it is, mildly).

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Glad you found a hookup for what you were looking for! Man, it's weird how regional distribution works. Carter Hall is on the shelf in several stores around here, but I've heard forum members say they have never seen it on a shelf. Conversely, I've never seen Granger or Five Brothers in the wild. ???

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
All of those twists and plugs like Mammoth Cave, Cotton Boll, Days Work, Cannonball,etc are common around these parts

May 4, 2015
it's weird how regional distribution works
Appalachia is weird about their "exports." There are a LOT of products that are household names in PA, for example, that no one outside of that bubble has ever heard of.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Scrapple feast, of course. My dad shared some Red Man with me when I was about 10 years old. That cured me for chaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.