Mama's Birthday Pilgrimage. Trip Notes As Promised.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Mrs. Jaytex969 and I left Austin, TX on 8/17.
We arrived in Nashville, TN on 8/18.
Her son lives there, her birthday was 8/20 and the eclipse was total there on 8/21.
After the eclipse, I dragged them all to BriarWorks to meet with one of our site sponsors.
From there, we spent a few days from Nashville to Natchez, MS along the Natchez Trace Parkway.
We then rocketed home in time to beat Hurricane Harvey to our doorstep.
What follows are a few highlights.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The trip there was strictly utilitarian. Drove to Texarkana, stayed the night. Got food poisoning from hotel. Proceeded to Nashville.
The following day, we did some touristy things, including a mild hike around Radnor Lake.
There, I got my best photo of the trip.
heron-337x600.jpg

More touristy things, Mama's birthday dinner, then the eclipse party.
We ended up at Nashville's Bavarian Bier Garten, where the purchase of a liter of good beer got you prime patio seating for the event and some free eclipse-proof eye wear. (Oh, twist my arm...)
Here is Mrs. Jaytex, her son and his squeeze staring into the sun...
stargazers-600x302.jpg

To be continued....

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Now, the part you guys have been waiting for, the pipe and tobacco stuff!
BriarWorks is just south of downtown Nashville.
They are wedged between the Tennessee Army National Guard Recruiting and the Nashville Zoo on the Google map, leading one to believe that maybe they are some kind of vicious animals needing armed surveillance.
Nothing could be further from the truth. This was, without exaggeration, the nicest group of people I've met this year.
Pete and Mark met us and gave the grand tour.
pete-337x600.jpg

Pete- President & Pipemaker, Briarworks
mark-337x600.jpg

Mark, Member of Owner's Circle and Genius of matters capital
orders-337x600.jpg

As you can see, the show must go on! Pipes ready to ship.
To be continued...

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As Pete began extracting from me my deepest piping desires, various parts and pieces of unfinished smoke-ware began filling his hands and pockets.
Simultaneously, he infused the site tour with a hefty dose of education, fielding all of our questions with ease.
briar1-337x600.jpg

Professor Pete schoolin' us on briar...

briar2-337x600.jpg

Back to those deepest piping desires. I shared with him my long and fruitless quest for a sitting poker, not too flashy, but aesthetically more than a wooden mallet.
Like magic, my dream began materializing before my eyes....
petestem-337x600.jpg

Pete selecting and finishing the stem for my pipe! :puffy:
We got to meet two of the artisans who also handled my many silly questions with grace and knowledge.
sam-600x337.jpg

Sam at work.
bill-600x337.jpg

Bill at work.
For more info, each of these guys has a "Bio" under the BriarWorks' website "About" link.
To be continued...

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As the visit came down the home stretch, my pipe began to glow, as if the pipe gods themselves had blessed this occasion.
Okay, maybe it was the three liters of good German beer and the shot of Jager, at this point...
thinkingpete-337x600.jpg

Pete working on my pipe and thinking, "When is this drunk bastard leaving?" :nana:
After applying a few proprietary stampings and taking a spin at the polishing wheel, my poker was born!
poker-600x337.jpg

I was given a deal on the pipe that I felt (almost) guilty of taking and my pants were at risk of falling down from all of the swag they kept shoving into the pockets.
They then showed me the SECRET ROOM. I could tell you about it but then I'd have to kill you.
Suffice to say that they employ the cutting-est edge of technology to stay productive and in demand in the brutal global economy.
Want to know more? Get off yer butt and go visit for yourself. You won't regret it!
meandbriarworks-600x388.jpg

To be continued....

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A quick treat for my brothers aboard the Frigate:
matchstick-ship-600x337.jpg

An incredible ship in an antique shop window, made completely from wooden match sticks.
Arrgh....
To be continued....

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The first half of our return trip was along the Natchez Trace Parkway.
Over 400 miles of natural beauty, showcasing a few thousand years of history. You need to do this.
And, did I mention NOT A SINGLE BILLBOARD OR FAST FOOD TROUGH in that 444 miles? In fact, there's NOTHING but the national park!
Don't worry. There are places to get on and off for gas and food. But, it's freakin' awesome!
One stop along the Trace was particularly suited to this audience. I'll let the photos tell the tale:
tobacco-sign-600x337.jpg

marker-600x337.jpg

marker-burley-600x337.jpg

burley-patch-600x337.jpg

tobacco-barn-600x337.jpg

barn-inside-600x337.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
We ended in Mississippi and ate too much good food...
butt-337x600.jpg

I could go on, showing you the mighty Mississippi river and such, but I hear the call of SWMBO, so...
That's all, folks!

thatsallfolks-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Reactions: marlinspike

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Sounds like it was an awesome trip Jay. Thanks for the pics and itinerary specifics. It was very interesting, and congrats on that cool poker you got. Has to be extra special when it's made while you wait. Enjoy

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Correction: The fine establishment that hosted the eclipse party is the Bavarian Bier Haus, not Bier Garten.
I apologize. Mods, please feel free to correct in post #2.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow that's awesome. Sounds like you had a great trip except for the food poisoning.
How's that pipe smoking?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I returned home to find my pound of D&R Cockstrong waiting.
Jarring it up, I found it quite dry and ready.
Following the numerous forum recommendations to baptize with burley, I filled 'er up loosely and went to work.
Even sipping, it's a fast burning leaf, so I don't feel I got enough exposure to the leaf or the pipe yet. More to follow...
jay-roger.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What a fantastic trip! We were at Nashville a few years ago, before Briarworks. We'll definitely head back, a fabulous city to visit. Thanks for sharing.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Did you get a chance to visit the Country Squire in Jackson, Ms.
Nope. We passed about 6 miles north of it, on the trace, and I was completely unaware.
Guess I'll have to go back some day...
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
You practically took us on the trip with you, Jay. Wonderful photos, especially the ship ;) It looks like you had a blast. The trips to both the tobacco farm and Briarworks must have been fun. If you passed near Forth Worth, I do hope you waved :clap:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
We took the more southerly route, along 190 & 30 through College Station, so the wave was quite distant.
I may try to be in your neighborhood for the Texas Pipe Show on October 7. If I make it, we should meet up.
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
If I can get the day off from work, I'm going to try to make it to that. If I can, I'm going to try to find a pirate hat. It might be one of those Long John Silvers cardboard cutout hats :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.