PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hey everyone. Has anyone every found they need to smoke harder to get flavor? Finally got the kids to bed last night and went outside for a bowl- it was a little chilly so somehow the G.L. Pease Maltese Falcon that I had never tried stood out to me. I packed it up in a Savinelli KS Lumberman, and headed out.
On the charring and true light, I was struck by a beautiful sweetness coupled with that cool latakia flavor and I thought "Oh yeah, this is going to be for me". As I settled into my usual cadence, however, the smoke felt flat and fairly flavorless. AS I continued to work with it, I couldn't escape the feel that I should puff harder.
I relit and began smoking quite a bit harder than usual - that's when it opened up to much more flavor. The sweetness was gone (not surprised when puffing like a freight train) but the latakia was back along with an intense an unusual spiciness. I've never encountered such spice in the absence of perique. It was a different kind of spice- I usually experience perique as a pepper or baking spice more in the back of my throat- this was more as if you had stuck the tip of your tongue in white pepper and loves.
As I continue to smoke way to hard, the spice became overwhelming and I slowed down, which then became more tolerable. About half way through the bowl, I had to tamp, and things again felt flat to an ash-like taste....a problem I have with multiple tobaccos about half way down.
My palette though, was a bit fatigued with all that spice and it was getting cold, so I sadly dumped the remaining half of the bowl and called it a night.
I've never had that experience of needing to smoke harder to get flavor out of a pipe. Any of you all?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You mean, it's not the stuff that dreams are made of? (That's a line from the "Maltese Falcon" movie for those who haven't seen it.) Yes, I've run into that with an occasional English, Va, or aro. It's like you are diving in there looking for the "beef," and it's just not there. Could be me, the pipe, the tobacco, or the humidity. I'd give it another try or two, in a smaller pipe. GLP rarely gets it wrong, but this could be the time, or it may just not be your thing. Sometimes it depends on what you've been smoking. If you have been enjoying stronger blends, a milder one might seem flat.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
When what the OP describes happens to me I will set the bowl down and walk away for several hours or even overnight if it was an evening smoke. Magic sometimes happens with that tobacco "time out" other times, not so much. I can't remember the last time I dumped a bowl and I've many times been rewarded for letting the tobacco rest after a flat smoking experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.