PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A few weeks back, there was some very good discussion about the role that the Malliard reaction can play in pipe tobacco. One of the contributors had stoved some Virginia, to good effect. Now I can't find the thread. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?
I ran some D&R blends through the oven tonight, and I'd like to compare notes.....

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Do you mean this?
mallard+reaction.jpg

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-aging-acceleration-devices
Only thing I could find.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Dan, the "pressure cooker method" works well:
Here's a couple good DIY threads:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/6255-Pressure-Canner-Cavendish-v2-0
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/637-Making-Black-Cavendish-Pipe-Tobacco

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Cobguy, thanks!
I'm quite happy with what I did, but it has some drawbacks.
1.Moisten the tobacco tot he point that it sticks together.

2.Pack into a half-pint jar with a caulk gun.

3.Heat to 110ºf for 1 hour (a-amylase trigger temp)

4.Raise to 200º for 1 hour

5.Raise to 330º for 40 minutes.(Malliard stage temp)
The idea was to run it through the a-amylase trigger point again, just in case any more conversion could be achieved. Not sure if this was effective or not, there may not be any active enzymes left, depending on how the tobacco had already been processed. Then since the jars are packed very densely, slowly raise the temp to the Malliard point. But by that time, the jars were steaming like crazy and then drying out quickly. At 30 minutes at 330º, I could start to smell smoke. The whole house smelled like a charring light, which was fantastic, but I suspect that a lot of flavor components were being lost. Well, I guess that Malliard temps can't be reached if moisture is present and the contents are under normal atmospheric pressure, correct?
A test smoke last night was very enjoyable. Smoother, richer, deeper than the pre-process blend.
I'll run some of the same blend through the pressure-cooker methodology next, and compare!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Too long at the high temp probably ... really fast reactions at those temps.
Sounds like you are using a mix of leaf? They will all react differently based upon the sugar content.
Flue Cured Va's are prime candidates with their naturally high sugar content.
Burley, on the other hand, does better toasting with added sugars, IMHO.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Too long at the high temp. Makes sense.
So the answer to that would be to work with loose cut leaf that will come up to temp quickly -or- sneak up on the target temp so that the entire pressed mass is evenly heated.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Just really starting to learn this myself but having fun! :)
Right now, I have 6 jars of Semois in a "crockpot kiln" which I'm holding at around 130F for several weeks:
16%2B-%2B1

Also, it's our first snow day here and you inspired me to pull out the pressure cooker. I've got some Red FCV that is already several years old and will hopefully turn out nice. It's at almost 2 hours now so I will be checking the water level soon:
16%2B-%2B1

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What is the thought behind 130ºf? a-amylase starch conversion?
Nice looking leaf. I can smell it from here. Is that your crop?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I was hoping for an internal temp in the jars of around 122F and the crockpot seems to stay consistent at about 130F on the "keep warm" setting. This sounded close enough to me to not tinker with the electronics. :wink:
The Red FCV is from WLT.com ... they have some pretty tasty leaf and have always done well by me. I do love that smell ... like fallen leaves and squash slowly fermenting on a warm Fall day. Yum! A definite contrast to the barnyard and cocoa smells of the Burley leaf.
Hey ... just checked the water levels and they were still fine. Keeping the burner at the lowest possible level that keeps the regulator rocking really does conserve the water. The leaf was already darker and even though the lids are tight I can smell it cooking. It smells amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.