PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I know that this is the Pipe Smoker's Forum but I also know you guys KNOW this stuff. I found my pen lathe in the storage container today. It is like Christmas going in there. Someday I will get to my big wood lathe and my Unimats and dental engines. That will be FUN! But for now, I can start trying to turn my own stems. Ebay will provide some fancy 3/4" square pen blanks to use and youtube will provide 'educational material'.

Who here has done this? Have any tips or things to watch for?

I want to make my own tenon turning tool, they are too expensive to buy. But that will have to wait until the Unimats are unearthed. My big lathe is still at the old place along with several tons of other machine tools. So, for now, I will just have to turn the tenons to fit with the pen lathe... I hope.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It's not hard to fit a tenon cutting by hand on a lathe, just be real patient. I've done it hundreds of times. What you have to figure out in making a stem from rod is how you are going to drill/file/saw/file/sand/file the slot!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Keep us updated on your results, Blue. I've always wanted to give it a try myself, but right now, I just can't justify the time investment. One day, though, one day...

You're probably going to find that most pipes are not centered down the stem to stummel. So, the lathe will help you make a tenon, but the rest will be done with files, because of the slight off-centered registration you'll just never be able to make perfect on your lathe. But, you don't have to have a lathe at all. http://vermontfreehand.com/product/adjustable-tenon-turning-tool/ a long drill bit, and a drill press work just fine.

The rest depends on your hand carving skills.
Also, look into draft diameters and how to taper the draft down to the slot. The slot can be made with several different sets of tools and skills. Most use a bur, but some will use a drill bit. Solve problems creatively... or get on board the pipemakers forum.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
As an alternative to hand-turning tenons, you can use drilled (hollowed) derlin rods (I use 5/16"). The trick is to find a drill bit that gives you a tight mortise. Not all 5/16" bits are the same - at all.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Excellent idea. And, an end mill will probably work better than a drill bit.
Again, thanks for the ideas and tips, keep them coming.
Don't laugh... but this little lathe will actually turn acrylic rod, I think it can be useful. Somehow I ended up with enough parts to make about 3 of these useless contraptions (don't ask). One became a nice Dremel powered drill press. I haven't uncovered it from the move yet. This one came to light yesterday and it appears that it will be worth messing with. But, still more parts to find. I have several real Unimats (the old version before this aluminum and plastic thing), and my extra drill chuck is with them. They are still to be found in the 'dig' going on in a shipping container.
37347261445_2169a2cb32_z_d.jpg

If you make a green stem, you don't have to wait for it to turn green...

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Don't laugh... but this little lathe will actually turn acrylic rod
A man only understand the true value of an umbrella by first getting wet. So, use whatever tools you have and become efficient.
Folks were creating these things solely with hand tools and much patience, long before machining. Even a drill mounted to a vice, with a bypass for the switch, would have been a thing to behold.
Therefore, I tend to think that many potential artisans put up road blocks when they see a DIY video and the builder uses a lathe. Ah. Full stop. I'm out. If they were to see another one being done with hand tools and maybe a dremel? Oh. Ok. I can do that.
Personally, I would do your homework and watch the many different ways it can be done, then pick one. For instance. I've see the end slot created with a small drill bit on a dremel, by simply working the bit side to side against a rail. Crude, but effective. Otherwise, I know that a machinist would have spent an hour in setup and task using a mill for the same result. Creating the most beautiful slot you've ever seen. But its still a stem slot. Horses for courses.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I would be thrilled with a tutorial on getting a premade or molded stem to fit and look good. :)

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I would like to see that too. I have some pre-made vulcanite stems that I will be fitting eventually.
I want to use the lathe because I am a wanna-be machinist. I actually just dug out my good Unimat. I was too tired to bring it into the house, maybe tomorrow. We should have rain and maybe snow tomorrow, so it will be a good day to sit inside and play with my machines. If I can find the pictures, I will post a pic of the 'good' Unimat.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
I would be thrilled with a tutorial on getting a premade or molded stem to fit and look good.
When fitting a new stem if the diameter does not match, obviously you want to file down the stem, and not the pipe, providing it's thick enough. If however, the stem's diameter is smaller, you could insert a metal band or other decoration to hide the transition.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I finally pried a picture of my lathe out of photobucket. What a bunch of jerks! Anyway, this is while I was installing the Unimat in an 'incubator' to keep chips from flying everywhere and to keep the machine clean when not in use. I also made lots of modifications to the little rig, including a Taig tailstock and a quick change tool holder and a variable speed motor. It should be perfect for making round things like stems. :D
37213022281_829764bcec_z_d.jpg

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I'm drooling over your lathes. A good one is very useful in drilling and preliminary sizing of a stem. After that, there is very little "round" about a stem. Files, a belt sander, maybe a Dremel are much more useful for shaping.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I see the lathe (for me) as a tool to make the tenon and do some preliminary shaping. I do have a couple of Tyrolean pipes to restore, and the bit (mouthpiece) is pretty much round. That will probably be the first one (or two) bits I make. Then on to some others. Also, bamboo, as an experiment. I do have a flock of the little Harbor Freight 1" belt sanders (great value, IMO) to do some shaping and lots of other hand tools. I do also intend to make a set of specialized files for stem work. Those with safe edges for the slot and lips especially.
So, look at this!
Now I Can Do Some Serious Lucite Stem Turning!
I managed to get the Unimat lathe and it's table out of the storage container today. Now some serious, precision plastic chips can be made! I need to put a back on the table, probably pegboard, and mount the light. I do have a stock of 1/2" acrylic rod to practice on. When that practice is done, I want to get some 3/4" pen blanks to work on. They come in really neat colors and patterns in addition to the normal black and whatnot. Then... there is some really cool vulcanite rod on ebay. Spendy, but what fun that would be!
The lathe on it's stand.
36544564244_ef50ff7b09_z_d.jpg

And a closer view.
36584775873_58cfa0d8b5_z_d.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Then... there is some really cool vulcanite rod on ebay. Spendy, but what fun that would be!
You really, really need to check out Steve Norse at Vermont Freehands- he has every flavor of vulcanite and acrylic....and it's round so you don't spend half your time making a square blank round....:) and you can order by the inch....

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Now this is more like it. The real Unimat is making a stem for one of my 'hunter's' pipes I am restoring.
37243941812_28e3880755_z_d.jpg

I am also making the main portion of the stem, it is a chunk of box elder branch. My around-the-corner drill bit is made from a bit of music wire, flattened and sharpened on the end like a spade bit, sort of. Box elder has a pith center so the cutter tends to follow that even through curves. I have had this piece since spring and it has dried nicely now. I can draw through it now and it is close to having a large enough draft hole.
37415574715_a87cdcafac_z_d.jpg

This is the pipe I am working on. I still need to order a bit of sheet cork, like clarinets and such use for the joints. But in this pic, that green stem is topped by a bit of 410 shotgun brass. The green acrylic stem should fit into that when finished I think. Of course it will need to be bent after polishing.
36563366324_6a43293e00_z_d.jpg

S

sunriseboy

I live down here in Oz and finding a small lathe is next to impossible. What are the brands for small lathes to turn bowls and drill stems?
And how is an 8" Churchwarden bit drilled through?
How is the stem on this Vaun Nobile 193 made: http://www.therightpipe.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewProduct&productId=1551&catId=531
I asked the people at Vauen but they said go and find out yourself! So I was wondering if someone would know how this is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.