PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I so appreciate what Aristocob and Walker Briar Works bring to the Missouri Meerschaum cob. They elevate an already great smoker into a pipe that I really want to smoke.
The first photo shows an Aristocob "Rusticob" Diplomat with a vulcanite Forever Stem.
The second photo shows a standard Country Gentleman with an acrylic Forever Stem.
If it weren't so cold outside, I'd say hats off...

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I get the forever stem - I don't see what aristicob did. Can you enlighten the slow and dim witted. :)

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
The Aristocob Rusticob pipe has a stained shank and bowl. There are various stain colors. I believe he mentioned on one of his youtube videos that he has a local person do the work for him.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Forever stems make the cob an even better smoker. I have several upgraded that way.

On the one without a Forever stem, I use a softie to spare the soft plastic stem from getting

chewed up.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I've been meaning to get some forever stems for my cobs, but just haven't gotten around to it. I didn't even think to consider that they would affect/improve smoking quality!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
You can buy Ebonite stems with the 1/2 tenon from Vtfreehand (on Ebay). They are $3.00 apiece. They still have the rough casting/flashing on them but less than 5 minutes of work will give you a "forever" stem. I have a hard time paying 2x more for a stem than what I paid for the pipe.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I'm sorry but that is like like putting fancy new shoes on your Yugo and thinking you have something worthy of competing at Pebble Beach Concours D'elegance.
Thank you for your input. Not sure I'd compare a cob with a Yugo, but to each his or her own.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm sorry but that is like like putting fancy new shoes on your Yugo
How about a new motor?
c8831e0f1d896e0f61a9acd6d058c710.jpg

:D

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
newbie: I certainly don't have a problem with your comment as tastes our subjective. However, I would note that many serious pipesmokers enjoy cobs. There are blends that I prefer in cobs (and those I prefer on briar and those I prefer in pear wood.)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I wonder how many will have problems with me on this one?
Seems to me that is your modus operandi around here.

Do you have anything positive or worthwhile to contribute? :roll:
However, I would note that many serious pipesmokers enjoy cobs
Exactly ... it's not like it's all novices saying "cobs smoke great".

Those who can step outside of their own pipe-snob facade will discover the awesome smoke provided by cobs.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I have some of the less expensive acrylic and vulcanite stems that are available on ebay. They are certainly better than MM stems. I do find a difference in quality between even the acrylic stems on ebay and Forever Stem acrylics. Forever Stems are just plain better, and in my opinion, worth the cost. They will last, well, forever.
Even if Forever Stems were not superior (in my opinion), there would be another reason that I will purchase from Walker Briar Works and also Aristicob: they add to the pipe smoking community. There is something to be said for a company like Walker Briar Works that does restoration work - work that I know I couldn't do. I want to see this company around for a long time, and if spending an extra shekel or two on a stem might help with that, I'm quite alright spending that money. And I really enjoy the Aristocob videos on Youtube - and quite honestly, his prices aren't any higher than anyone else for MM pipes, and his service is top-notch. Just a great guy to do business with.
I can understand that some wouldn't see the need for a "Rusticob." But on its maiden smoke yesterday afternoon with its vulcanite Forever Stem, it looked just dandy, and it smoked as good as any of my most expensive briars.
So for me, this is not about how much money I saved buy buying a product from someone else. It's about the smoking community, the enjoyment of the hobby, and hoping that all these small mom and pop shops will be here for a long time to come.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
A wonderful smoke. And as mso489 mentioned, the cob does smoke better with a Forever Stem. Of the two, I might prefer the vulcanite over the acrylic.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm sorry but that is like like putting fancy new shoes on your Yugo and thinking you have something worthy of competing at Pebble Beach
I like to use shoe polish on my athletic shoes and try to give them a high gloss shine.
Jeez... lighten up newbie. It seems like the only time you post is when you have something negative to say.

That is a nice stem. I wish I had of gotten one of those as opposed to the acrylic ones.

These are my two favorites... one with a copper band and one with a sterling silver band.

2013-11-12%2014.24.05.jpg

2013-11-12%2014.26.35.jpg

Cobs are a good smoke, especially with certain blends. I do enjoy a fine Virginia in a briar, but sometimes you just gotta get it going with some Carter Hall in a cob, dammit. :wink:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I do enjoy a fine Virginia in a briar, but sometimes you just gotta get it going with some Carter Hall in a cob, dammit.
Then try it with some Prince Albert... good stuff! :wink:
Strange, in all this time I never paid attention to the fact that Walker Briar Works had vulcanite stems for MM cobs!

Oct 12, 2014
" I do find a difference in quality between even the acrylic stems on ebay and Forever Stem acrylics. Forever Stems are just plain better, and in my opinion, worth the cost. They will last, well, forever."
This.
"So for me, this is not about how much money I saved buy buying a product from someone else. It's about the smoking community, the enjoyment of the hobby, and hoping that all these small mom and pop shops will be here for a long time to come. "
and This.
"I like the Forever Stems. They can turn an acceptable pipe into a good one."
And this. They are IMO well worth the money. I just smoked my Cobwarden earlier today. Love my Forever Stem. Short of me busting it, it will indeed last forever. Recommend!

Status
Not open for further replies.