PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I was told recently by a good friend an pipe maker that he would not be able to sell pipes in the USA due to this new FDA rulings. Does any body else have any input on this subject?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Maybe if pipes are incorporated, somehow, with the second amendment?

images

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The way the deeming is drafted, pipes fall under FDA control, but there's no evidence that the FDA is going to try to track down or control pipe makers. The document is aimed at other stuff (controlling the vape community). They've got better things to do than worry about a few dummies grinding briar in their garage.
The guys who are quitting "just like that" were about ready to quit anyhow, and this gives them an excuse.

May 4, 2015
I haven't seen any commentary on what, if any, financial impact the regulations will have on pipe makers. And I've been looking pretty hard. Giving up now seems premature, to say the least.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I hate to say it guys. But we should all quit now. The sky is falling in the pipe world and if you do not already have a lifetime supply of pipes, tobacco, cleaners and accessories; you had might as well cut your losses and get out!

May 4, 2015
I'm working on the lifetime supply part. I've been smoking a long time, only hoarding for three months, though.
I've done the math, and I need a LOT of tobacco for a lifetime supply.
I'll be smoking approximately 40 more years X 365 days in a year X 2 bowls a day. 10 bowls an ounce.
I need 182 pounds of tobacco...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I hate to say it guys. But we should all quit now. The sky is falling in the pipe world and if you do not already have a lifetime supply of pipes, tobacco, cleaners and accessories; you had might as well cut your losses and get out!
Neil, I'm not a quitter, but be my guest. I have a pipe smoking friend in Australia, who pays $60 for a 50gr tin of baccy, and he's buying, because their ransom tax on tobacco is increasing every year until 2020. I very much doubt that good tobacco won't be available in the future in the US. We're EXTRMELY SPOILED in this country by the crazy abundance of pipes and tobacco, and it's more affordable here than anywhere in the world. It seems redundant to be thinking about quitting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over reacting. Diminishing the ongoing excitement over new blends, which the FDA regs would seem to do, will put a crimp on pipe manufacturers and pipe artisans, but I don't think it will regulate them. The pressure will be economic not through enforcement, I would say at this point. I think the best en masse push-back is keeping going as we are, with other actions as appropriate. We have to keep taking up "our space," so gross infringement will be conspicuous and will be seen to impinge on other peoples' rights as well. Pipe smokers are "small fish," and there are advantages in that. Next, model trains and beer stein collections will come under federal mandates -- you see where this might go, and why it might not fly with the public in general and federal judges in particular. Power to the Geezers.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Neil, I'm not a quitter, but be my guest. I have a pipe smoking friend in Australia, who pays $60 for a 50gr tin of baccy, and he's buying, because their ransom tax on tobacco is increasing every year until 2020. I very much doubt that good tobacco won't be available in the future in the US. We're EXTRMELY SPOILED in this country by the crazy abundance of pipes and tobacco, and it's more affordable here than anywhere in the world. It seems redundant to be thinking about quitting.
My statement was meant to be "tongue and cheek." Living in Canada, I know all to well the pain that our Southern Hemisphere friends are feeling.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Canada! On recent visit to Toronto, visited the lone (I think) real tobacco/pipe shop, and the prices appeared stratospheric not unlike those in the U.K.
If this keeps up, we may find tobacco runners, à la rum runners of the 20's.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was told recently by a good friend an pipe maker that he would not be able to sell pipes in the USA due to this new FDA rulings. Does any body else have any input on this subject?
Unless your friend is making all metal or stone pipes, which are treated as drug paraphernalia, he should have no problems at this time. To the extent he believes otherwise, he's misinformed.
Goodness, all this whining. You have 18 months to buy stuff before stocks are allowed to dwindle. There will be a considerable number of blends left, mucho mas than were available to guys like me when I started in the 1970's.
Plus, generations of us old guys are going to croak out and leave obsessive piles of real Balkan Sobranie and other legendary weed behind for our numb nutz families to sell off, or distribute to those of you whom we deem worthy.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Rumor has it, that FDA is going to take particular notice of pipe carvers based in Red Deer AB first. :)
As far as I know there ain't no pipe carvers in Red Deer, AB unless they're closet pipe carvers.

Maybe one day he'll come out of the closet. Who knows? Only time will tell...

May 4, 2015
Plus, generations of us old guys are going to croak out and leave obsessive piles of real Balkan Sobranie and other legendary weed behind for our numb nutz families to sell off, or distribute to those of you whom we deem worthy.
Tick tock, tick tock :wink:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
My statement was meant to be "tongue and cheek." Living in Canada, I know all to well the pain that our Southern Hemisphere friends are feeling.
SORRY... :!:
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tick-tock? Geezers go, but some newbie is always waking up and discovering yesterday he was middle aged, but today, OMG, he's a geezer!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
If this keeps up, we may find tobacco runners, à la rum runners of the 20's.
Not likely. Smoking has become unpopular in our culture, to the point where most tobacco users are marginalized. Even people who want to enjoy it are being financially squashed by the insurance companies. Who is going to buy all this bootleg baccy? Alchohol use, on the other hand, is very popular and normalized. Even alcohol abuse is celebrated and lauded in some circles of our society.

Status
Not open for further replies.