PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2JWMTmWx3L6Bn.jpg
We had a few beautiful days last week, temps in the 70's and low humidity. I left my office window open for a couple of days, and took the screen out to clean it. Although i was in and out of my office numerous times, I never noticed that there was a bird, quietly building a nest for his partner on one of the pipe shelves. It's a stunning construction, and I can't fault him for picking a neighborhood with Stanwell, Stokkebye, Standard Tobacco and my home blends as neighbors.
What do I do now?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What's interesting is the knife or pipe tool that's firmly embedded in the stummel of the blast. Oh, never mind, my vision wasn't too good, and I was slightly looking for a PS job....
Specie? Eggs? Though not the right season, I guess.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This post minds me to listen to They Might Be Giants. Great band, great song.
I would discard the nest. Germs.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well that certainly never happened to me.
I would firstly discard the nest if there are no eggs in there, then remember to close the window. :wink:
I have to say, if I were a bird, that seems like a great place to build a nest though.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Looks like a Carolina Wren nest. Male wrens will sometimes build multiple nests before the pair decides which one to use. So there is a chance that this nest isn't one they are planing to use. Carolina Wrens will nest in all kinds of places. I had one nest in an old boot once.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Wow... Beautiful and quaint. I would keep it. Animal friends trusting us enough to build in our homes. We have to honour that trust.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love Carolina Wrens. They are round bodied little birds with long pointy bills and are extremely bold and all but land on your shoulder out of shear pluck. So I'm not surprised this one came in the window and set up with the pipes. seldom, thank you for the information about them building multiple nests. They are extremely energetic and this doesn't surprise me. I was going to say that I see most birds are well adjusted to building a new nest because of wind or limb damage that pulls down another. I believe I had at least one brood of Carolina Wrens hatched in and about my carport. We enjoy their company as they go about their work, and they are convivial as birds go. They look us over and have a little conversation and don't seem put off by humans or their activity. We keep the cats inside, but they too enjoy watching the action, though from a somewhat different point of view. I call our bird guide book the cats' menu. My other bird infatuation in the yard are crows. I leave them bread bits and other small treats, and it seems they leave me crows feathers; they may just be shedding but they have been known to leave gifts for benefactors -- extremely smart corvids. I greatly admire the title of this thread, real poetry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some current thinking is that birds are the living surviving dinosaurs -- they mostly walk on two legs and have other anatomy and physiology in common, or that is the case for them. I had some close observation of albatross (Laysan) on Midway Island, was able to observe the whole process from egg to learning to fly, pairs doing the mating dance ritual, which is also socializing, with three or more birds. They do skid when landing on ground instead of water, and were then dubbed Gooney Birds, but they are the masters of air and sea, and have a wingspan of about six feet. Their nesting areas covered the Navy base, but much more ground too. That island is now completely a wildlife refuge. There may be researchers out there, but I'm not sure there is any permanent party at all, no military, and the attempt at tourism faded, I believe. It's as far from Honolulu as it is from New York to Omaha. It's part of the Hawaiian chain, but truly remote. There've been some serious loss of birds from eating plastic trash they mistake for sea life like squid. I've seen photos of albatross chick and adult remains with the bones arranged around a little pile of plastic trash that plugged their digestive tract.

Status
Not open for further replies.