PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I very rarely purchase a new pipe. I have 20, not counting the cobs in the shop, shed, camera bag, etc. The only decent tobacconist in Anchorage closed a few years ago. I did buy a Millville from the maker while in London a few months ago and another silver cap from Peterson while in Dublin.
So, the question is: How does one select a pipe that "fits" and feels right in the mouth and hand, is unblemished, well fitted and finished without ever actually eye-balling and fondling the pipe? It's an impulse purchase for me. I walk into a shop and look over the inventory. If I see a shape and size that is appealing to my eye I ask to see it and check the fittings, finish, weight, etc. If I can't turn it loose I'll part with some money and hope that I got a good smoker.
Do retailers and independent carvers willingly accept returns due to a pipe not meeting expectations? Unsmoked of course! Or, is it strictly a "buyer beware" thing?

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
try smokingpipes.com they give you very detailed pictures of the actual pipe you are purchasing.
As for returns, I have no idea and some members with many more years of purchasing should be along shortly.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I appreciate the input. It's often times next impossible to spot a fill when the pipe is in your hand, much less when viewing a jpg on a computer screen.
I guess what I'm getting at is what's the criteria on-line buyers use to determine whether or not to purchase a particular pipe. I'm pretty sure Kevin, Iwan Ries, would readily accept a return or 2 or 3, if I was not happy with a purchase. I've been a customer, on and off, for years. But would not a seller soon become exasperated with me should I return five or six before I was satisfied?
Obviously many people have no problem with buying a pipe, un-fondled and basically sight unseen. There's a large, successful market on-line so maybe it's just my prejudice. I just can't get my mind around the idea.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
How much of a gambler are you?
If you what a sure thing, then you're better off going to a B&M.
If you're willing to take a chance then it's a different ball game.
My favorite pipes are Savinelli Autographs. I have around 15 that I bought on eBay for around $50-100 each. I have 7 or 8 more that I paid $100-200 dollars each for in-hand. I would have to say that the eBay pipes have been, by far, the best buys. You have to learn to take your time, looks closely at the pictures and the description and learn to go with your gut feeling. If you buy two pipes for fifty dollars each and one of them is a junker and the other one is worth $200 them you come out ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.