PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Sorry this not a real review. I am a big Sam Gawith fan (FVF, BBF, SL etc) and Esoterica/Germain (Penz, Margate, etc) as well and a few GLP blends ( Key Largo and Westminister) I also dabble with some BurPers like OJK and Night Train. On occasion I'll water down Chocolate Flake with BBF or FVF when I'm in the mood for a light aro.
But let me say White Knight and Magnum Opus are simply the best thing that has ever happened in my pipe toking career. In fact THE best blends I have ever encountered in my entire lifetime. Did I just say that?
I'm always late to the party and have long-read about Russ O's blends yet put off trying them for whatever reason. I'm lazy, yeah.
I got tired of hunting down the hoarded blends and paying ebayers far too much. So I first ordered a tin of WK and loved it. I ordered 10 more. White Knight is the only blend I smoked for a few weeks...which is something I have never done before. Ever.
I've never smoked any of the old Balkan Sombranie and I have no interest in smoking the new imitation BS for several reasons which I won't go into here. In fact I am glad I never smoked or tried the old BS because I would then try to compare them to WK and MO and that would only fog my comparisons.
So then I decided to order a tin of Magnum Opus. Ka-friggin BOOM, this stuff blew my hat off. To me this was White Knight with more latakia and some perique which had unbelievable depth, romantic richness, and a sugar smacking sweetness of what top quality virginia can deliver. It could have been cavendish too. heh. I must say I love it madly (yet so sadly) It was creamy and dreamy...and the smokey blue waves of happiness tickled my nose ports like none other. Just wow.
Flavors I get? CLEAN DELICIOUS TOBACCO! cocoa, coffee, tads of spicy kicks, softness, smooth cream and a scent that lingers off my mustache for hours. My ladyfriend digs the roomnote as well..imagine that?
I then tried Black House. No good. Jarred her up for another day.
MO and WK are basically...well...how should I say? Plain kickass. Magnum Opus hits the top of my charts and White Knight a close follower. Goodbye hoarding tobaccos and hello Russ O's blends.
I can only imagine how these will tatse with some age on the. I need to call 4 Noggins and order twenty five 50 gallon drums of both blends. This is history in the making folks. Never in my life has any tobacco thrilled me like these two blends have. Just wow.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Give Russ's B.S.O.M match a try - I like it better than WhiteKnight, and find it "tickles my nose ports", as you put it, in a most pleasing way. Also, Peretti's Oriental #40 has been scratching the same itch for the last day and a half if you're inclined to play the field a little more.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Magnum Opus is one of my faves and Russ blended it for himself which is good enough for me. Another of his real winners is his match for Dunhill's Baby's Bottom, which I smoked in the 70's. Russ' take is absolutely wonderful and better than the Dunhill iteration.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Here it is: BSOSM Match
It's Russ O's match to the Balkan Sobraine Original Smoking Mixture (BS White). From what I understand, WhiteKnight is a tribute to the original, while the BSOSM match is more of a direct, well, match. They're different, despite the common inspiration. Frankly, I prefer the match blend - and you can buy it in bulk.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Give Russ's B.S.O.M match a try"
I have been pimping this lately. Glad to see at least one other fan. Crazy good. Got 5 pounds in the cellar and will probably add 5 more.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Now THAT'S a review I like to read. Well done by you sir. I too enjoyed Whiteknight. Haven't gotten around to Magnum Opus just yet but I've got a few tins in the cellar.
As for the B.S.O.M, it on the P&C site under the MATCH brand. He did one for a 759 match too. I've had both and prefer the former of the two. Whiteknight is better than both of them though in my opinion

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Nice review. I haven't tried WK or MO yet. The only H&H Marquee blend I've tried is Cerberus, which is delicious. I've enjoyed every tobacco blended by Russ that I have tried so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.