PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Not sure- I used 6lb magnets with steel ball bearings on the inside for photography- that works OK. The problem is not the weight rating, but that the thickness of the wood increases the distance between the bearing and the magnet...

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
I can cut the wood any thickness in between the pipe and what ever magnet goes under the wood, I just need to know how strong of a magnet I need

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I used some like this to make a stand. Quite strong and will pinch blood if you get two magnets close together ! I put them in the top,drilling with a Forstner bit so they set just below the surface and then covered them with felt.

They have them in smaller quantities. The higher the "N" number the stronger the magnet is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neodymium-Disk-Magnets-N42-7-8x3-16-Strong-NdFeB-Rare-Earth-Magnets-Lot-50-/310979104331?hash=item4867cc8e4b

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's some info:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-collecting/the-magically-magnetic-one-of-a-kind-pipe-stand/
The discs I bought were too small to hold a pipe. I eventually gave up.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
I did the rack shown in the pictures.
It all depends on the thickness of the wood or material you are going to use for the base.
For the shown racks I used a 20 pound magnets for each pipe, and I'm not using bearings inside the pipes but a small cylindrical 6 pound magnet.
Maybe it is because my rack is angled, but it is the only way I felt the pipes were stable enough.
Maybe for a flat stand you can use lower rating magnets, but no a lot smaller if you are not planing to have some kind of groove etched on the base.
All the magnets linked by previous posters are way too small IMO.

They won't hold your larger pipes stable or vertical.
Here's a link to the thread and the pictures.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ultimate-minimalistic-pipe-rack
Cheers,
J
1_zpsu0mi742d.jpg

2_zpsdmzgno6g.jpg

3_zpsv023rick.jpg

5_zps8kzjlx4c.jpg

6_zpsaa84ofmx.jpg

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
15 lbs might be enough if you just cover the magnets with felt as described by Ejames, but they won't hold your pipes securely through wood and on a flat surface without any grooves, slots or holes.
Cheers,
J

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I have a small single base stand from Mr. Brog. It´s magnet is only 15x7mm and works with a bearing ball. It holds the pipe securely but has no indentation or felt cover. Furthermore I have no idea which grade of neodym was used. I would go for a larger diameter, preferably N52 grade and a bearing steel ball. Guess I will try out anything above 10 kilos first. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.