PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
What magazines do you subscribe to? I enjoy magazines, both paper and digital. I have tried to subscribe to Pipes and Tobacco Magazine, but it seems the site does not accept paypal, even though the support folks say it does.
What magazines do you like?

Not Really a Magazine Guy - however
I liked Popular Mechanics - I had a gift subscription once, and sometimes I get to see it in Doctor's office, etc...

I do enjoy reader's digest - I get to read it when I am waiting in my son's Kumon class
Maybe I will enjoy Onion, Harvard Business Review, The Economist, Fortune, etc... - I generally like the articles, which I get in my Facebook feed.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Pipes and Tobacco and The Fretboard Journal and The Smithsonian and Mother Jones and Money
It would seem I am a curious pipe smoking, guitar playing, leftist, capitalist.
I can live with that.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Went on Disability, no more magazines. Now two of my friends give me their old QST( ham radio) and The Absolute Sound and Stereophile issues.

@hobiedog - Aha! Ham Radio. One of the many hobbies I pursued enthusiastically for a short time!
I went to a Government Sponsored Community training center for a six months course (Open to all), after school, studied with people more than twice my age, successfully passed the licensing exam @ 16, got a speed of 12 words per minute receiving, 18 words per minute sending in Morse, had fun in using my instructors QSL code to talk (Since I did not have my own licence).

However back in India the minimum age to pass licensing exam for Ham was 16, but the minimum age to actually get a license was 18, so as my college exams came up, I sort of lost interest any more! Two year to get a license after passing the exam was too much of a waiting period for a 16 year old!

Jan 8, 2013
I used to read Guitar World religiously, but haven't in a while. I think this thread just helped me decide to pick that magazine up again. Other than that, I've recently rekindled my love of comic books. One never gets too old for comic books :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Forbes and Fortune. The photography mags I used to subscribe to have all taken to proselytizing so I've dropped them. In fairness, they were also simply repeating themselves, only so many safari stories or polar bear stories and then it becomes redundant.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
The Economist, for a time. I was contemplating the Foreign Service Exam in those days, and that was one they recommended to read. Too time-consuming for a weekly, so I dropped it. I wish they'd stop calling.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
New Statesman - it's a serious left-of-centre weekly current affairs magazine here in the UK. I have an electronic subscription which I can read on my tablet.
Mike

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I suppose it's a subscription: but I also get the Journal of the Royal Photographic Society of which I am an Associate (ARPS). The Journal comes with the membership.
Mike

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I like to read. I had many subscriptions in the past, but now I'm down to:

NASPC's The Pipe Collector, Pipes and Tobaccos, American Record Guide, The Baker Street Journal, Nostalgia Digest (OTR), AARP, and Consumer Reports.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The Pipe Collector, Pipes & Tobaccos, Fly Tyer and Sports Afield. I subscribed to Playboy for over 20 years, but I didn't renew my subscription when they changed the format.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Years ago I subscribed to several motorcycle magazines and one shortwave radio magazine...then the penny dropped. I was paying to read page after page of bloody adverts and little in the way of original content. All subscriptions were duly dropped.
I laugh at my neighbour who pays for Sky TV (this is on top of the TV licence fee everyone is supposed to pay...£145 per annum if memory serves). He is paying to watch adverts...every 12 minutes or so there is an ad break. That would drive me nuts. Not just the ads but the fact that I would be paying a premium to watch them :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Before the days of the interweb I used to have somewhere around 15 or 20 magazine subscriptions and a couple of newspapers to boot.
Kinda sad to admit it but other than receiving the magazines from AOPA and the NRA, as part of my membership dues, I don't have any other magazines coming to the house. I can find anything I want online nowadays.
Still a pretty avid reader and try to make time to get through 2 or 3 books a month, but definitely read more online content than I ever thought I would.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a magazine guy, currently Road & Track and Car & Driver. Of course "The Pipe Collector" as well.
Magazines are unfortunately a dying format.

Status
Not open for further replies.