PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I get to Charlotte often for business and have been meaning to carve out a day to visit the factory. Going to have to make it happen soon!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
A fine article about a fine company. I still have one of my first pipes, Dr. Grabow Viscount author shape, and still smoke it. I would recommend a Dr. G. to any new pipe smoker.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Interesting. Sounds like Grabows aren't really machine made after all.
Partly machine,hand finished Dave. As the article says,the pipes go through 40 steps. I'd say at least half (maybe more) of those steps are done by hand.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great article - thanks for sharing. Interesting that the manager lamented:
“So if they smoke a pipe, it’s got to be a $200 Stanwell. ... We are Budweiser.”
Pretty honest assessment, but maybe too honest?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great story. A skillfull portrait of the factory, its machinery, and staff. George Hoffman, the

Raleigh pipe shop guy, is my local independent tobacconist. To his credit, though he doesn't

carry Dr. Grabow, he always has Missouri Meerschaum on hand, and other basket pipes and

mid-levels for his college student and graduate student clientele. He does rely on pipe sales

for his shop, so he has to encourage some upgrading. He carries a good variety of tobacco,

from pricey tins to Granger he'll sell you by the ounce out of the can, to various Lane,

McClelland, and other bulk tobaccos. His shop is a classic in homey general store surroundings.

It's like going to visit your pipe smoking uncle.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I thoroughly enjoy my Grabow pipes. Especially my Savoy.
(I should qualify that by adding "after I burnt off or caked over the nasty bowl coating"
A great value IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love my Dr. Grabow bulldog Royalton, a beautifully shaped design made with a lot of care.

I have always suspected the Dr. Grabow staff who make the pipes smoke and collect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.