PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
This afternoon, I tried to make a new pipe. I grabbed a piece of mulberry to try out some new techniques. The drilling was way off. I came close, but not exactly to the general shape I wanted. Still it is a hefty nosewarmer that I enjoy. The sanding proved to me it was NOT mulberry. It is much too soft.
Later I showed it to my wife and she identified the wood by smell. Camphor. Would that affect the taste of anything smoked in this pipe?
Winton

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I can't say anything to the smoking qualities of the wood, but I can say that you gave it the good ol' army try, and that's what matters the most :puffy:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Nice work! A pipe made of Camphor might finally be the answer to those looking for a menthol baccy. Stuff some VA/Bur mixture in there and ta-da you got Newports.....

Seriously though, it would be interesting to learn, if you finish this guy off, how long would it last under some sort of smoking regimen, and if the flavour would ever go away.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I seriously doubt it would ever go away. Also the wood is very very soft. It probably would burn out. Also camphor is an irritant and can cause lots of damage. Glad I was wearing a dust mask and using a dust collector. I don't want to know what that dust could have done to me.
Winton

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I think the volatile oils would eventually dissipate enough that the taste would go away, I just wouldn't want to be the one to try it...

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Hook it up to one of the older auto pipe smokers that smoke your pipe for you to speed up the break in time. Then put it on the porch and see how she handles.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
John,did you forget that Mulberry is yellow? :lol: That pipe doesn't look yellow to me. Good practice piece even if you can't smoke it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
For a second, I thought you were going to say, "Vicks VA/Bur Rub...
Nice one!
I like where you're going with the shape on this one, Winton. I just picked up my first pre-drilled block and stem kit, and I'm thinking about a similar shape.
Cheers,
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't try to smoke a camphor wood pipe. I think camphor products all say for external use only.

Remember, what you take into your mouth gets at least inhaled to some degree and ingested, like into

your digestive tract. I don't know if smoking in camphor wood would have a sudden toxic effect, but

there is always the longer-term effect, and any combining with other environmental exposures. Could be

perfectly fine, could be trouble. But as long as there are briar, corncob, and Meerschaum pipes, and a

few other throughly tested woods, why risk it?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Years ago, someone advised me to label all my wood blanks, or I would forget what they were. Boy, was that correct! The grain pattern was similar to mulberry, but the wood is completely different. I was reading up on camphor and the article said over a certain limit was lethal.

Status
Not open for further replies.