PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
This one just came off the workbench. It is my first time doing an exotic hardwood stem insert, this one is bocote wood.
There were some special dental considerations in play so the button/bit area is quite a bit different than on my previous pipes. I had a heck of a time buffing the swooping angles on this one. I am ecstatic with it though!

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Adam that is a work of art. WOW! Even with the dental mods! LOL! Looking forward to seeing #20 an so on.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Adam that is a very cool pipe! The lines and curves and the shape are awesome. Well done. :clap:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I'm most intrigued by the color. What stain did you use please tell! Looks like a cowboy hat, pretty cool. Nice work!!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Thanks everyone! I know fantasy pipes can be very subjective. This one was fun to make and as with each pipe, I learned quite a bit.
As for the stain, I used fiebings powder and mixed it myself. I base coated the grain black and then The top is concentrated "Blue", the bottom is I think Peacock blue (greenish) if I remember the package correctly. That bocote hard wood is not stained at all, just waxed.
There is a nice diagram of the stain colors you can achieve with the fiebings powder. Check out the finishing section of vermontfreehand.com

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Adam, that pipe is an amazing thing to imagine and create. I believe you are truly an artist. It should be placed in a shadow box on the mantle or some other place of prominence. Personally, I do like your elephants foot better though, what a pipe!

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Hi guys,

if I don't check every topic I can loose some nice work. Why you don't post your creations on "Make your own pipe project" to avoid loosing lot of time searching for them? Maybe for this reason I didn't see your pipes before.

Anyway, since I also delight myself in making some pipe, I'll tell you sincerely what I think of your last work.

The shape and the colors of the briar are fantastic. I don't like the shape and the colors of the stem and the insert. I'd prefer a black or white stem. Since I also make experimentations I can understand your choice, but I suggest you to try and change that part (maybe later!) to reach (IMHO) perfection. Naturally, if you are satisfied of your work, forget my suggestions, but don't make my mistake: sometimes I don't like completely the result of my work, but I am too lazy to change it and I prefer to follow a new project!

By the way, English is not my language and I don't understand the meaning of "fiebings powder". Is it aniline?

After all these words, I want to say again that you achieved a really nice work: a shape worth of a designer, carved following the briar's drawing which, together the right choice of color hues, give the impression of the wave seen from above and under.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the pix!

That is a beautiful and most unusual shape; not something I see myself holding and smoking, but a nifty display piece! :clap:

Dec 24, 2012
Nice. I wonder what colour the bowl will turn with smoking. I have noticed that green-stained pipes (like the Peterson St. Paddy Day specials) turn brownish after smoking, and I wonder if the same will happen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.