PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Any one purchase any macqueen pipes? They look Awsome but the price is a little rich for my blood. Are they really worth it? and are there any issues with those wooden stems?

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I have one, it is a nice smoke. The stem is not like a regular bit in the mouth so You cannot let it hang from your mouth, you must hold it, and a bit heavy for hanging anyway.
It has a great grain, smooth smoke and just looks good. I like mine.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I own both the Wizard pipe and the White Wizard. I've been meaning to do a review on them but I just havent had the time.
I will say this though, the two that I have are two of my favorite pipes. I probably reach for them more than any other pipe I own. I have read and seen YouTube videos of people saying they have major draw problems because of the draft hole not being large enough rendering them unsmokable. Maybe they were at one time and MacQueen changed the design because near as I can tell, the two that I own smoke just fine.
The bowls are a tad more shallow than what most might be used to. The Wizard pipe's bowl depth is about 3/4 of an inch and the White Wizard's bowl is approx. an inch deep. But Ive had no problems getting 45 mins to hour long smokes from either of them. Another thing you will often hear is that because of the bowl depths you have to pack them differently, more loose, more tight, etc. Everyone seems to have a differing opinion on this. From my experience this is a "mountain out of a mole hill" issue. I don't pack my MacQueens any differently than I do any other pipe and I have not had any problems, of course YMMV.
As for the wooden stem. Its a bit like sucking on a straw, although the end is tapered somewhat, I don't find the stems uncomfortable at all and honestly, you get used to it after the first couple of puffs.
All in all I highly recommend MacQueen pipes, especially if you like churchwardens. I think they smoke great, look great, and feel great in the hand. Some people often dismiss them as "novelties" that aren't "real" pipes, but I don't agree with that at all. Highly recommended. :puffy:

blakeoday

Lurker
Jan 15, 2012
I ordered the Laurentian Jan. 5 and didn't realize that the shipping time was "after craftsmanship" so now I could be waiting for it for another month. The wait is killing me :cry:

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
Took 3 months to get mine.Only smoked it once and it smokes great.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have a MacQueen Ranger and I love it. As has been mentioned above it is a little different experience than smoke normal pipes, but not really in a bad way.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Does anyone know of any other churchwarden makers that also have wooden stems?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I don't own one, but I want one. I've heard from people here that it takes forever to get them. pipesandcigars.com sells them, but I dont think they have briar bowls.If you buy a Macqueen make sure you get the briar bowl. It adds like $10 to the price

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
There is a fairly lengthy thread here somewhere with horror stories about their customer service and ridiculous wait times. I'd look that up before ordering. If it hasn't been outright Mod-deleted, I seem to remember Kevin or someone getting upset about everyone voicing negative opinions about them on this site once they became a sponsor. :roll:

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
There is a fairly lengthy thread here somewhere with horror stories about their customer service and ridiculous wait times.
Yes, I should have mentioned in my post. When I became interested in the MacQueen pipes, I heard and read the wait time horror stories and that actually put me off buying one from them so I took a different route. I went to Ebay and bought both of them from a pipe dealer that had them brand new. I ordered both from him and received them in 3 days.
Having said that, while I can't comment on their customer service as I've had no dealings with them, I do know that the people I've talked to who ordered directly from MacQueen, have all gotten their pipes. But it does take awhile. The earliest time I have heard was one month and the longest wait was 6 months. But, every pipe was delivered.
@juvat270 looks like you just did a review lol.
I realized that right after I posted. :lol:

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/macqueen-pipes-really-cool-churchwardens

Here is the thread I was thinking of.. I think.
I guess I owe Kevin an apology, for some reason I seem to remember him getting pretty irate over people complaining about MacQueen's customer service and reminding everyone that they were sponsors. I guess that isn't how things happened at all after re-reading the thread, weird how your memory can play tricks on you like that... Anyways, as I said Kevin I owe you an apology, guess I probably should have known better.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I received a MacQueen Strider pipe as a gift a few years ago. I wasn't crazy about the round, wooden bit so I only smoked it a few times.
Hmmm... maybe I'll put it up on the board. Check out the For Sale page tomorrow if you're interested.

homerinnc

Lurker
Feb 21, 2012
I ordered one in October, the website says 6-8 weeks delivery, its now February 21st, STILL no pipe, they dont reply to emails, and when they do, its a generic "our machines are down", "we lost your order" "It will ship by Jan 5th"

I did some research and say Canada's Better Business Bureau gave them an F due to complaints, had I known that before ordering, I never would have touched them. Their customer service really is terrible, if youre wanting a pipe like these, I'd strongly advise going elsewhere

firstnamedean

Lurker
Feb 21, 2012
Be very wary when ordering from MacQueen, I am still waiting on my second Wizard pipe from them and I ordered it in March 2011. They contacted me a couple times and said it must be lost in customs, that was a months ago. I have heard no other replies from them. As for the pipes I feel they are worth it, if you buy them from a supplier and not directly. The bowls are known to crack often, mine has. Some people complain about the small bowls and how hard it is to pull but I like that quality about them. The wooden bowl does heat up but the smaller amount of tobbacco and less pull allows it to stay cooler. Also it is hard to match their looks, very LOTR.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Does anyone know of any other churchwarden makers that also have wooden stems?
You want cool ? Check this guys pipes out http://www.dmpipes.com/pipes.html
edit to add: I'm in no way associated with the website, just saw his work and thought they were the coolest I've ever seen in this style~

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I have been waiting 6 months for a halfling and I have sent 4 emails now asking for either my order or a refund and they are not responding.I ordered at the beginning of January.A 6 month wait on a pipe is completely rediculous.I have to say it is the worst customer service I have ever experienced hands down.I will never buy from them or anything with the macqueen name on it for the rest of my life and I am doing my best to convince others to steer clear of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.