PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Just notice MacBaren had some significant price increases on their tins - about a $3-5/tin increase! Is this a sign of things to come from other makers?

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Sutliffe has increase prices on its more popular brands as well like Molte Dolte, Maple Street etc - gone up $2 since I got some in last fall.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
A bit of a jolt I agree, but MacB has been under-priced for years in my opinion. Do I have to like it, no but I will just have to suck it up and pay the piper as it were. Love the HH line and the new prices be damned.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Well you are absolutely right, briarhillgeoff.
I went back and looked at my last order of Molto Dolce on April 3 of this year . I had purchased 10 tins at $6.10 each. Currently same seller is showing $8.07 marked down from MSRP of $9.50 . I had been buying like a mad man but eased up on tobacco the past several months. I just had not been aware of recent pricing. I had ordered some bulk VA but it did not reflect an increase.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I'm thinking with the weakend Euro - there will be more price increases from the European makers of Pipe Tobacco - Dunhill and Peterson will probably be next with an increase.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I don't know peck - one can hope...still with Stuliff small increases and MacB's increase - you would think others will follow.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Weak currency is worth less. So, in this scenario, a weak Euro means the Dollar is worth more. Typically prices decrease in such scenarios.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
If European producers of tobacco are purchasing their ingredient tobaccos from countries outside of Europe with a weakening Euro, wouldn't that cost them more Euros?

Dec 24, 2012
If European producers of tobacco are purchasing their ingredient tobaccos from countries outside of Europe with a weakening Euro, wouldn't that cost them more Euros?
Yes, true for their inputs, but of course they are selling (after processing in Europe) for a much higher price in Euro dollar terms. So unless their wholesale sales prices were less than the cost of their inputs then they should be better off. Or in other words, as long as they export more in value than they import, they should be better off. Hence the reasoning why a falling currency is good for exporters and bad for importers.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
That's not necessarily true peck. I work for a company in which we import equipment from the US and sell to Cdn's in CDN dollars. So if I'm imported some equipment and trying to hold the same price as a year ago - I'm losing money. for example - a year ago the US dollar cost me $1.05 in CDN - today it costs me $1.32 in CDN for $1. therefore my price is going to go up relative because I deal in CDN dollars. Same for EU importing stuff from the US.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
A lot of Euro-baccys use 'Empire' leaf, from former colonies - not including the US. A couple of years ago, a well known and highly respected Danish tobacco industry guy was giving a presentation, and I asked him how much US Virginia his company used. He acknowledged that the American leaf was among the best, but it was too expensive. And this was when the Euro was still quite strong.
When you add up input imports and finished product exported to the US, I think peck has the handle on the total outcome relative to pipe tobacco.
hp

les

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Sounds like Mac Baren will get a crash course in price elasticity of demand real soon.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
They still have my business on the 1 pound bags / boxes ... $2.75 an ounce is not expensive for tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.