PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
MacBaren HH Arcadian Perique​
Type: Virginia/Burley
Tobacco: Burley, Virginia, Cavendish, Kentucky, Oriental, Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Topping: None
Cut: Ribbon
Tin Note: Peppery and slightly sweet
6Lryhde.jpg

I wasn't an instant fan of this blend on my first try. Being currently predisposed with English blends, this was quite different. I never disregard a blend on my first try unless its a rancid smelling aromatic. I'm glad I didn't. After a couple of bowls, I started to appreciate its unique zest. It seemed a little moist out of the tin, but it lit well and burned evenly without tongue bite and almost no relight. The Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, and Oriental merge so nicely, this blend should have a category of its own. Not in an overbearing way, the main player is undoubtedly the Perique. It is strong and smooth simultaneously. Its a clean, bold, unabashed tobacco. I find that the more I smoke it, the more I like it. This is a blend for true tobacco aficionados.
I recommend Arcadian Perique to the more seasoned piper who will enjoy a strong straight forward tobacco flavor.
http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/home.html

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
That's a handsome tin. Though I've actually smoked about 8 ozs of the stuff, I've never seen the tin. I buy it in bulk at one of my local B&Ms. I do enjoy it and like how the perique changes from the famous plum taste to the spicy about 2/3s of the bowl. It was my first introduction to perique and usually stays in one of my jars.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
An excellent tobacco!! Very soft on the palate and delicate, its not an in your face like Perique like St. James Flake. Thanks for the review, I am going to pack some up now.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
It has taken me a number of bowls to develop an appreciation for Acadian Perique, but the more I smoke it the better I like it. It should be smoked slowly, of course, which is a lesson I can't seem to remember.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That blend was my first experience with perique, and it remains my favorite perique tobacco.

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
This one is a great blend.I was told last year my the perique man himself, Mark Ryan, that MavBaren buy the top quality from him no questions asked about price. Some inside info for what its worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.