MacBaren 1 lb. Bags - Safe For Long Term?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I recently bought a couple of 1 lb. bags of MacBaren blends. I'm curious if anyone has experience with them for long term storage. They are sealed air tight, and seem to be a rather heavy material.
Thoughts? Should I transfer, or leave them alone?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I think it depends on how long you want to store them. They are safe for a while, but plastic is permeable to oxygen, so eventually, the tobacco would dry out. I have seen bags opened a year or so after purchase still contain fresh tobacco. I can't say beyond that. The tobacco would age better in sealed mason jars if that is your goal.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Thanks, Jim. Not so much looking for aging, but certainly longer term storage and freshness.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
5mm metallized Mylar bags, heat sealed, are not permeable and a fine way to store and/or age bulks. If the MacBaren pound bags are Mylar and heat sealed then they might well be good to go for the long term.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
If the MacBaren pound bags are Mylar and heat sealed then they might well be good to go for the long term.
They are not Mylar for sure, just a heavy duty plastic. I use Mylar to cellar everything now, did away with the jars about a year ago. I will likely transfer them to Mylar and heat seal them to be safe.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don't know about the current bags but I opened a 7 oz. tin of Va #1 from the 1970's a bit ago and the tobacco inside was perfect. Mylar bag, bread bag twist tie closure and a screw top, non vacuum sealed tin. I was really impressed.
MIKE S.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Darwin:
Please educate me. How do you seal in Mylar? Where do you obtain Mylar?
I'm redoing my entire glass jarred cellar.
Thanks!
Fnord

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Please educate me. How do you seal in Mylar? Where do you obtain Mylar?
Fnord, there are several places to get ahold of Mylar bags. I use these guys: Discount Mylar Bags. Their prices are reasonable and they also carry the heat sealer. This is the one that I purchased, and it works perfectly: Heat Sealer. You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere if you look though.
Go for the 5 mil. with the zipper. Quart size will hold 8 oz. of almost any tobacco without an issue. I use the quart size for larger bulk purchases and then the 1/2 quart for samples or smaller amounts, like a tin that I want to transfer the tobacco from. The gallon size bag would probably comfortably hold a lb. but I like to split my lbs. up between two quart bags.
I will load up a bag, zip it most of the way, then squeeze out all of the air and finish the zipper seal. Then use the heat sealer to put an airtight seal on the top of the bag. Little bit of trial and error and you will have it down pat.
Whole cellar has been transferred to Mylar here. Much lighter and easier to store than jars, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.