PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If you dedicate your pipes to specific tobacco styles, I'd definitely go "aromatic" with this one. Plumcake has only a tiny quantity of latakia in it. . . and some lists of its ingredients don't mention it at all. In addition, it's also sweetened and then flavored with rum; I personally wouldn't want that kind of blend in my latakia-dedicated pipes. But I could also see Plumcake working well right out of the gate in pipes dedicated to traditional Navy flakes -- that is, VA/burley flakes that include rum.
Of course, there's nothing wrong with smoking everything in the same pipe. Just keep in mind that it will take more bowls of any new blend before that blend's character really comes through.
Bob

Aug 14, 2012
I used to like Plumcake in a Dunhill shell briar. Don't like it in other pipes. The black Dunhill shells tend to taste a little dry and bitter. Plumcake sweetens it just enough.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
FWIW, I found that for me, Plumcake works/tastes better in a smaller pipe as opposed to my larger ones. Dunno why, just seemed to burn and therefore taste better -- lasted as long as 1-q does in a big pipe, so no loss there!

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I think Mac Baren's Plumcake has bridged the gap between Aromatic & English blends very successfully. It's aged with Jamaica Rum if I remember correctly and has a very small amount of Latakia for slight smokiness. I smoke it most times in a cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.