Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
It is pretty good and has a nice flavor, though I can't really distinguish what it is. It has some sweetness but not too much and it is accompanied by a very slight bitterness/sourness that is not unpleasant and it balances out well with the blend. It also contains a small amount of Latakia to give it a little smokiness and is blended in so well that you wouldn’t even know it is in there if they didn’t say so.
It does bite me a bit which I don't like, but all Mac Baren blends bite me no matter how slow I smoke. Plumcake bites me the least of the Mac Baren blends that I have tried and I would attribute that to the Latakia that is in the blend.
I like it enough to smoke it occasionally but I wouldn't buy it often due to the bite that I get from it. In my opinion it is definitely worth a try.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
python said : all Mac Baren blends bite me no matter how slow I smoke
Those are just "Love Bites" - ha ha ha!
So far, I have loved every Mac Baren blend I have tried. I haven't tried Plum Cake yet. I have never been bitten by them either, although there are other brands that bite me every time, I will mention them in the appropriate threads.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Pipe smoking is weird. It depends on your personal PH I guess. I know people (like you, lol) that never get bitten by Mac Baren tobaccos and then there are people like me, that get bit by every one of their blends.
I just recently have been trying HH Vintage Syrian and that bites me as well, which is weird because it is an English blend.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin...buy it. Have the rum. Smoke the pipe. Soon you'll have visions of the Black Pearl pulling into port. Arr, me hardies!
LOL! I will definitely do that.
What's funny is that from my balcony I can see "The Pier" in St. Pete and they have had one of the actual ships that was used in Pirates of the Caribbean docked there for several months, until recently. Plus, we did a Disney cruise a few months ago, and saw the Black Pearl at their Bahamian Island. I'll post it up in another thread and come back with a link.

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
I should begin by noting that this was the first non-aromatic blend I’ve ever tried. In fact, with a name like “Plumcake,” I was expecting a sweet, candy-coated aromatic. This blend is anything but sweet and candy-coated, but that’s not a bad thing. The name is just a little misleading is all I’m saying.
Plumcake is a mixture of Virginia, Burley, Mac Baren Cavendish, and “a touch of Syrian Latakia.” The tin note was smoky, a little like Georgia barbecue (pork) or smoked meat, with little nutty undertones. It was different from what I expected, but not bad. In fact, it was quite intriguing, despite my aromatic tendencies.
At first light, I was getting flavors of tar (or was that rum?) and smoky flavors (perhaps the “touch” of Latakia). Actually, the tar was more like creosote, and it reminded me of an old wooden ocean pier I used to go to or even this big pirate ship that housed a seafood restaurant, where we used to go eat while on vacation in Florida. Either way, I was getting a definite seafaring aroma on some level. Perhaps this was the power of suggestion, since the tin label also reads “Navy Blend” under the “Plumcake.” Anyway, I smoked it slowly, so it was a cool smoke with very subtle bite. It was a relaxing smoke, with a medium strength and flavor. I tasted more tobacco than flavoring. If there was any flavoring, it was mild. I’m not sure what the esoteric “Mac Baren Cavendish” is, but it was subtle. Middle way through the bowl, I was still tasting the “tar,” but also picking up on roasted nuts, then a tiny hint of sweetness toward the end. All in all, it was a pretty tasty, satisfying smoke. It had a pleasant to tolerable room note. Out in the open air, it’s fine, but it could possible become less tolerable in more confined spaces. My wife approved.
I should add that I was having some serious issues with moisture and gurgling. It seems like I was shaking out my pipe every minute or so. This is probably due to user error, I should admit: Since I’m a little new at tobacco storage, I made the mistake of putting the tobacco in a sealed glass jar with a fully loaded pouch moistener, so I should’ve expected a swampy smoke from the beginning. Or maybe I’m drooling down the stem. Who knows? In fact, I was unable to smoke it all the way to the bottom, much to my chagrin, as it was a tobacco bog down there. Perhaps, I will dry it out a little before my next smoke, and yes, there will be another smoke, as I highly recommend Mac Baren Plumcake Navy Blend, despite the aforementioned setbacks.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I received a tin last week and have tried 3X now and am still not enjoying it much.

Maybe it is just not the type of tobacco I enjoy...its all a learning curve I guess. 8)

Maybe good to save for the next blend pass offering. The juries still out on Haddo's

Delight for my taste also.

Status
Not open for further replies.