PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
This is a flake style tobacco. The flakes have got a rich earthy very tobacco smell to them. The flake are a very dark brown, almost like the color of very dark soil or wet coffee grinds.
The way I smoke flakes is to rub them out. I do not do the fold and stuff method like some smokers of flake do. Once I’ve rubbed them out, I let them set out to dry. These are very moist flakes, and I like my tobacco almost bone dry. The flakes even after having been rubbed out and dried still retain that wonderful smell I mentioned earlier.
I have only smoked this tobacco in one pipe, my straight billiard meerschaum. It’s a smaller pipe, and with this particular tobacco it’s probably a good thing (at least when starting with this). I personally don’t think it’s very hard to light, after the first char and true light I’ve found that some puffing and light tamping can get it going and keep it lit. The smoke it self is not harsh, it’s rather smooth actually. I get a variety of flavors from this tobacco, and they are all very forward yet don’t seem to crowd each other out. It’s very smoky tasting, but not in the way latakia is. I also find that there is a very true tobacco flavor, almost cigar like (I don’t know enough about cigars to compare it to one). When smoking this, depending on ones cadence there is even a sweet floral taste at the very back of the pallet. The smoke if exhaled through the nose can feel very tingly, and smells very much of tobacco. Speaking of smell or the room note, this is one of those rare tobaccos (in my humble experience) that one can actually smell as they are smoking it. In fact, the smell of this tobacco as it burns plays just as much a roll as the taste. In fact I would go so far as to say the two are dependent on each other for this tobacco to work. Do note, that if this tobacco is pushed by too much puffing it can become bitter, but will once subside when a more measured pace is applied.
Also, this is a very strong tobacco. If one is unaccustomed to nicotine it may be uncomfortable to some. If some one is an ex-cigarette smoker or already smokes strong tobaccos/cigars on a regular basis they will probably find it very satisfying. A thing I’ve noticed in my smoking experience and I don’t read much about it, is how the strength of nicotine affects the taste. If this tobacco was low in nicotine the flavors it has I feel would be diminished by it’s absence. Its as if the nicotine itself is part of the flavor.
All in all, I am very much enjoying this tobacco. I would recommend this to any one who like burley or virginias . I’ll be honest with you I’m still trying to figure out that burley taste, and it’s there I just don’t know how to describe it yet (maybe it’s the smoky taste that’s not like latakia). The virginias are definitely there, and I suspect that is where that sweet floral taste is coming from.
That's my take on it fellows. Those who've smoked it too, what do you think?

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Thanks for the review. I bought a tin at Chicago and have been hesitant to smoke it. Maybe I'll wait for a while longer.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice review romanza.
I just recently smoked my first bowl of McB Old Dark Fired and like you I smoked it in my meer which I think is a great way to get that first impression. I don't do tobacco reviews because I find it nearly impossible to put into words exactly the flavors or sensations that I experience. But I do love to read the reviews.
After only one bowl so far I can't add much but I do like the rich thick tobacco taste of this one. For some reason I am faintly reminded of smokey ribs grilling on a fire or BBQ chicken as I smoked through the fully rubbed out flakes. I'm looking forward to trying these flakes in a cube cut with scissors to slow down the burn and maybe allowing it to dry a bit before smoking. Experimenting like this and trying new stuff is a part of pipes and tobacco that I have really come to enjoy.
I purchased a few tins of this blend based on the old fashioned production method employed by McB. It just sounded interesting. I like to smoke a traditional style blend while reading about history and I can easily imagine myself 300 years ago enjoying this very tobacco on the deck of a sailing vessel, the meaty flavor mingling with the tang of sea air. I also like that this tobacco has been considered an "English Blend" showing that Latakia need not be present in the mix to fall squarly in the genre.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for the review, I was waiting to see what someone else thougth before commiting to buy a tin... Now on the TAD list!!

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
ocpsdan said:
Thanks for the review. I bought a tin at Chicago and have been hesitant to smoke it. Maybe I'll wait for a while longer.
Why wait a little longer? This is great tobacco, I smoke two bowls of this stuff a day. I can't seem to get bored with it and I ignore my other tobaccos.
bentmike said:
I purchased a few tins of this blend based on the old fashioned production method employed by McB. It just sounded interesting. I like to smoke a traditional style blend while reading about history and I can easily imagine myself 300 years ago enjoying this very tobacco on the deck of a sailing vessel, the meaty flavor mingling with the tang of sea air. I also like that this tobacco has been considered an "English Blend" showing that Latakia need not be present in the mix to fall squarly in the genre.
Yeah, I like that fact that I can say I smoke an "English" now. I'm not a latakia fan at all really, I'll smoke it if it's just so, but that hasn't happened often. I would like to see more tobaccos that are "English" that don't have latakia or orientals.
crk69 said:
Thanks for the review, I was waiting to see what someone else thougth before commiting to buy a tin... Now on the TAD list!!
You won't be disappointed, I know I wasn't! You will also notice, in my review I didn't compare it to Petersons Irish Flake. I've smoked the Irish Flake before, and the more I smoke the ODF while they are similar I feel that they are each trying to do their own thing.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Very nice review, thanks for your input. I tried this in Chicago and thought it was quite good, and a blend from MacBaren that most smokers enjoy the freedom from tongue bite. It should be in ample supply after the newness wears off. Judging from the number of presses they have to make this flake.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I just cracked a tin of this open and smoked 2 pipes so far earlier today.

The flakes are pretty moist so I rubbed them out and let sit for a bit before packing.

Nothing really new to add here though, a damn fine and satisfying smoke.

Not many tobaccos have me wanting another smoke like this does, excellent taste and value.

I hope this does not disappear from the shelves cause I would love to put away a couple to age for a bit.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Nice review. I have a decent TAD order coming in from smokingpipes on tuesday. Was able to add two tins of the stuff on Friday before it went out as I had just received the instock notice. Looking forward to cracking the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.